Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new Jeep JK

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Jeep JK

I got a new catalog in the other day that had some pictures of different jeeps that people have used their products. One of the first pictures was of a new 07 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door and I got to thinking. What would a XJ look like if you cut the top off? I know being a unibody that you would have to signifcantly strengthen with a cage, but try imaging one of the new JK's with a soft top off. I think that a XJ with the top cut off, a cage, and a Comanche tailgate modified to fit would be cool as crap. Also I was thinking that some kind of top either soft or a hard fiberglass one would be cool too. I just know that I can't afford one of the new JK's and yet I do have a 4 door XJ but I love being able to take the top and doors off of a Wrangler. Any thoughts are welcome either pro or con doesn't matter just give me your opinions. Thanks in advance for all opinions.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

with enough fab work it can be done, but if you are thinking about this make sure you know what you are getting into. Immense fab work must be done in order to achieve what you are talking about. That being said keep us posted with pictures

-Kyle
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 AM

There's a white one running around here......it has the back half of the roof from the driver back cut off. No cage. Guessin he rolled it and said, what the heck, wheres the sawsall!
I'll try to catch up with him and get some phone pics..........Sureley he has some kinda sub frame connection, otherwise the windshield would break.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I saw a few on rustysoffroad.com. One of them loks beat to hell and it looks like the guy stretched a tarp across the roll cage. The other was like mentioned before, just the back cut off to look more like a wrangler.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM

I went to the pettersons offroad site and looked at the project UAJK and that helped fuel the imagination fire. I would love to be able to put 3/4 or 1 ton axles and a diesel in my 88 along with taking the top off but that is a long time coming. I am in college right now and won't get out until May 09 but the good thing is that I am majoring in Computer Aided Design and Drafting so I have access to all the programs I will need to put what is in my head on paper. I can't wait to get a chance to draw some of it so I can show yall what is in my head. Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM

looking forward to hearing of your progress

-Kyle
Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

I have been thinking of cutting the top of my xj also, so it would be like a blazer or bronco. It seems like a pretty cool idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM

The only drawback is that "Uni-no-Frame" thing! Havta start with a full cage or sub-frame connects...........or just like drivin a pretzel!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by droff85
I got a new catalog in the other day that had some pictures of different jeeps that people have used their products. One of the first pictures was of a new 07 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door and I got to thinking. What would a XJ look like if you cut the top off? I know being a unibody that you would have to signifcantly strengthen with a cage, but try imaging one of the new JK's with a soft top off. I think that a XJ with the top cut off, a cage, and a Comanche tailgate modified to fit would be cool as crap. Also I was thinking that some kind of top either soft or a hard fiberglass one would be cool too. I just know that I can't afford one of the new JK's and yet I do have a 4 door XJ but I love being able to take the top and doors off of a Wrangler. Any thoughts are welcome either pro or con doesn't matter just give me your opinions. Thanks in advance for all opinions.
A totally topless XJ can be done but as Kyle stated there is an immense amount of fabrication and a full roll cage is the only safe thing to do. Look at my link to see what I did to mine. I have a removable version in the works. I am in the process of building the roll cage for the one you see.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah I know that Ill have to reinforce EVERYTHING just to be able to cut the top off but that is just half the fun of doing it. Wondering when you go to sit down in it for the first time if you're going to end up sitting in an accordian. But I think if I design everything well from what I've seen on other rigs, a little common sense on what is smart and what isn't, and a little math it might just turn out to be a really bad *** rig and a safe one at that. But we'll just have to what and see.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM

I wounder if then reinforcement could be done underneath.......with a full body bolt-on skid plate assembly?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Of course mine would have to have holes.........for the oil to leak out!
HMMMMMM, 1/2 Flat iron.........plasma cutter, Mig Welder..............would probably end up with one heck of a snow sled!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM

theoretically i guess it could be done but it would take away from your ground clearance, and a full roll cage is never a bad thing.

-Kyle
Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Yea, and we don't really need protection from IED's stateside. But the under armor would look cool.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by droff85
Get on NAXJA's site, there are plenty to check out there.