Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new 2000 acting up....

Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default new 2000 acting up....

So some old guy totaled my beloved 99 so i got a new Cherokee, i mean what else would i get? so i picked up a 2000 with 100k on the odometer which is nice tranny is full of unicorns and gold, it is magical! can't even feel the car shift! my issues are with the electronics and some mechanical....any input and help would be muchly appreciated! so here are my problems:

1- electric door locks stopped working....for no reason at all.
2- rear hatch opens when it wants to, somthing to do with the latch mechanism.
3- sometimes it takes a while to start, maybe two tries, other times it starts so fast it scares me!
4- there is a ticking when i'm driving and sometimes when i'm idling. i know its not a lifter tick because it goes in and out and its pretty loud...thoughts?

Okay i do have pictures to help with deducing what is going on! but first i explain!
so the guy i bought it from had BIG plans and did alot of work to it it has ORFAB front and rear bumpers, ramsey patriot 9500 winch, 3 100 procomp driving lights, TNT frame stiffeners, and a bunch of other sweet ****!! haha what i believe the culprit may be...he added two optima batteries, a red to start the XJ and a yellow to run all the accessories. he installed a hellroaring battery isolator system (not quite sure what that is...) i do know i can run the red top, the yellow top or both. okay now time for pictures! haha help if you can please

NOBODY STEAL MY VIN hahahaha
Attached Thumbnails new 2000 acting up....-photo-1.jpg   new 2000 acting up....-photo-2.jpg   new 2000 acting up....-photo-3.jpg   new 2000 acting up....-photo-4.jpg   new 2000 acting up....-photo-5.jpg  

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Engine: 4.0

the problem with your doors is most likely the wires breaking inside the boot between the door and body, if it's not a fuse er somethin

pull the boot and tape back and check em out
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Is the air intake filtered somewhere?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by belvedere
Is the air intake filtered somewhere?
x2 where's the filter?

Door locks, as mentioned are probably the wires cracked/split in the front doors. Common problem.

My 99's rear hatch had issues opening, I sprayed some wd40 in there and worked the latch a few times (pulled the handle) rubbed some grease on the latch post and it hasn't had problems since.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Who ever did all of the mods under the hood did an very good job, well thought out and nicely done. Where the hell is the air filter? Remove the rear trim panel and adjust the linkage on the latch. Look into replacing the fuel pump for the starting issue. There is most likely a broken wire in the boot between the drivers door and jamb, as stated above. It's an engine, they make noise.

Last edited by Bustedback; 07-17-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM

the air filter is in the cow.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

How does the cow feel about that?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM

lol he wants it to mooooove
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dutchess
So some old guy totaled my beloved 99 so i got a new Cherokee, i mean what else would i get? so i picked up a 2000 with 100k on the odometer which is nice tranny is full of unicorns and gold, it is magical! can't even feel the car shift! my issues are with the electronics and some mechanical....any input and help would be muchly appreciated! so here are my problems:

1- electric door locks stopped working....for no reason at all.
2- rear hatch opens when it wants to, somthing to do with the latch mechanism.
3- sometimes it takes a while to start, maybe two tries, other times it starts so fast it scares me!
4- there is a ticking when i'm driving and sometimes when i'm idling. i know its not a lifter tick because it goes in and out and its pretty loud...thoughts?

Okay i do have pictures to help with deducing what is going on! but first i explain!
so the guy i bought it from had BIG plans and did alot of work to it it has ORFAB front and rear bumpers, ramsey patriot 9500 winch, 3 100 procomp driving lights, TNT frame stiffeners, and a bunch of other sweet ****!! haha what i believe the culprit may be...he added two optima batteries, a red to start the XJ and a yellow to run all the accessories. he installed a hellroaring battery isolator system (not quite sure what that is...) i do know i can run the red top, the yellow top or both. okay now time for pictures! haha help if you can please

NOBODY STEAL MY VIN hahahaha

1) Broken wire in the boot in the door as has been said.

2) Lubricate the latch and that may just fix it.

3) Could be any number of things, start by verifying the basics like the condition of the spark plugs etc.

4) Chances are your flexplate bolts are loose (happens to pretty much all auto XJ's at some point) . Search on here and there's a good writeup on how to take care of it.

Good looking rig, whoever built that knew what they were doing.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Default NEW 2000

I AGREE -- nice work under the hood.
The guys gave you some sound advice.

What did you have to give for your "new" XJ ???
California prices are through the roof -- I gave too much for my 2000 XJ;
but did not have much choice.

Next time, I am going on a trip to Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada
and get a '99 there and trailer it back ................

Good luck !! Randy from Oceanside
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Who ever did all of the mods under the hood did an very good job, well thought out and nicely done. Where the hell is the air filter? Remove the rear trim panel and adjust the linkage on the latch. Look into replacing the fuel pump for the starting issue. There is most likely a broken wire in the boot between the drivers door and jamb, as stated above. It's an engine, they make noise.
Hey thanks there Busted! well here is some back story. i picked up the XJ from a super nice guy about 2 hours north of me. turns out he bought the Cherokee used it as a family rig for some years and then him and his family got a new rig so he turned this into his build! before he could work on it he got shipped to Iraq! so this is what he did, he took his XJ to a custom 4x4 shop. while he was overseas he would look up cool mods for it and send his pay check from the military to the shop and tell them what he wanted done! he came back from Iraq and sold it to me to buy a new tractor for the farm his family just moved onto! so all the mods are BRAND NEW! he just had to sell his baby to help out the family.

all mods were professionally installed and never used they include:
-ORFAB Rockslider front bumper
-ORFAB Rockslider rear bumper
-Ramsey Patriot 9500 winch
-100ft of 15000 lb test synthetic rope
-2 kevlar rope protectors
-3 100 watt pro comp lights
-TNT frame stiffeners
-custom tube rocksliders (to match ORFAB bumpers since ORFAB doesnt make sliders)
-Hellroaring battery isolator system with a Optima yellow top and red top
-cowl cold air intake (EXACT same as EricsXJ)
-1 gallon airtank, and constant duty air compressor
-aftermarket sound
-Viper Alarm
-Rustys 1/8th inch gas skid
that should be all! haha
he is a great guy and had BIG plans for this XJ and i plan to finish it!

Originally Posted by xjsnake
1) Broken wire in the boot in the door as has been said.

2) Lubricate the latch and that may just fix it.

3) Could be any number of things, start by verifying the basics like the condition of the spark plugs etc.

4) Chances are your flexplate bolts are loose (happens to pretty much all auto XJ's at some point) . Search on here and there's a good writeup on how to take care of it.

Good looking rig, whoever built that knew what they were doing.
Thanks! like a said to Busted, he poured all this money into this rig and did it right! no wonkey homebrew stuff i have to deal with and i have all receipts and warranty info! good foundation to build on! almost all the work is already done, and its not lifted so that is my choice which i like

Originally Posted by RainShadow
I AGREE -- nice work under the hood.
The guys gave you some sound advice.

What did you have to give for your "new" XJ ???
California prices are through the roof -- I gave too much for my 2000 XJ;
but did not have much choice.

Next time, I am going on a trip to Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada
and get a '99 there and trailer it back ................

Good luck !! Randy from Oceanside
well i paid 5k, and it has 100k on the odometer and read the list i wrote to busted, it was WELL worth what i paid its and animal offroad and on the highway

Thanks everyone for the advice, i will get it all fixed now that i know how to fix it! hope to have a build up soon! ill have pic's of her up soon!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM

oh also, it has the stock alternator and the guy said it isnt powerful enough to charge both batteries so that might be a starting issue? also i looked up the Hellroaring battery isolator system and it is way beyond me!! so ill give the link and if anyone wants to read it over and translate to laymans terms that would be great!!

http://hellroaring.com/bic75300.php
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Year: 2000

Sounds to me like the isolation function uses a diode for the main battery. Diodes allow current to flow only in one direction, much like a check valve on a piping system. When the main battery gets low or you need extra amperage to operate auxillary accessories the combiner function automatically kicks in and bypasses the diode.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Bustedback
How does the cow feel about that?

hahaahaha i'm dying!

you said 2000? i know some of them had the new intake manifold which causes some heat issues in a couple of injectors but it would typically throw a misfire code if that were the case
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Did you end up fixing the rear hatch? Did not notice if you said you did or not. Pull the cover off the lift gate and you will see the mechanism, you can remove the bar from the plastic holding clips and adjust it, lube the latch as well.

I fooled around with mine because it wouldn't open without some work when I bought it. Trial and error, first it wouldn't close at all, then wouldn't open, eventually you find the happy middle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new 2000 acting up....