Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some quick help...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
  #1  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
1991Jeep_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fauquier County, Virginia
Posts: 2,844
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Question Need some quick help...

Here lately my 91 XJ has been runnin warm, and I think a dirty rad may be part of the culprit. Until I can afford a new 2 row from radiatorbarn, I want to clean my rad. I just need some quick help

First, how do I go about cleaning it? I figured it would be good to spray out towards the headlights as to blast everything back the way it came in. My plan; disconnect the fan shroud and lay it back, disconnect the e-fan and lay it back, remove the front grille, spray some cleanin crap from A/Z, and then wash. Sound good? Would a regular unpressurized hose wash ok or would it ruin the fins?

Second, I did the coolant test (the one with the 5 ***** and they rise according to heat protection) and only 2 ***** rose.. I take it this is bad. I am currently running Prestone 50/50 coolant.. what can I use for optimum cooling?

Finally, and totally off topic, how do I get this side piece of my bumper back on?

Name:  100_0273.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  77.4 KB

Thanks everyone.
1991Jeep_Man is offline  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
1991Jeep_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fauquier County, Virginia
Posts: 2,844
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default

btw, just found out my primary issue is the fan clutch, but still need help with the cleaning and everything..
1991Jeep_Man is offline  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
  #3  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
1991Jeep_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fauquier County, Virginia
Posts: 2,844
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default

bump
1991Jeep_Man is offline  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
  #4  
CF Veteran
 
superj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: corpus christi, texas
Posts: 1,885
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default

you can do that back spray and hopefully it works. probably better to pull hte rad and do it but try it out
superj is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default radiator cleaning

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man View Post
Here lately my 91 XJ has been runnin warm, and I think a dirty rad may be part of the culprit. Until I can afford a new 2 row from radiatorbarn, I want to clean my rad. I just need some quick help

First, how do I go about cleaning it? I figured it would be good to spray out towards the headlights as to blast everything back the way it came in. My plan; disconnect the fan shroud and lay it back, disconnect the e-fan and lay it back, remove the front grille, spray some cleanin crap from A/Z, and then wash. Sound good? Would a regular unpressurized hose wash ok or would it ruin the fins?

Second, I did the coolant test (the one with the 5 ***** and they rise according to heat protection) and only 2 ***** rose.. I take it this is bad. I am currently running Prestone 50/50 coolant.. what can I use for optimum cooling?

Finally, and totally off topic, how do I get this side piece of my bumper back on?

Attachment 19898

Thanks everyone.
I am the tech manager at Prestone. Your plan is good, I would soak both sides of the radiator with orange based degreaser/cleaner. Most auto parts stores sell it. Only use a garden hose yo flush, dont use a pressure washer as it may damage th rad. The two ***** floating shows your concentration is not high enough of ethylene glycol. Buy some concentrate, drain about two qts of coolant and add the concentrated af. run the engine for 15 minutes, let it cool down and recheck. Cant help with the bumper sorry
motorking is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
CAEMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 889
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I love that kind of answer: "Your plan is good". I NEVER hear that...I hear "...What, are you nuts? That'll ruin everything...have it your way...it's your money...not with a ten foot pole...and other such comments...but I do NOT hear "Your plan is good, nothing will go wrong".

Cool answer.
CAEMI is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default radiator cleaning

Originally Posted by CAEMI View Post
I love that kind of answer: "Your plan is good". I NEVER hear that...I hear "...What, are you nuts? That'll ruin everything...have it your way...it's your money...not with a ten foot pole...and other such comments...but I do NOT hear "Your plan is good, nothing will go wrong".

Cool answer.
dude,
I own a repair shop. You would not belive how many people over look the basics and want some "magic bullet" that will fix their problem. Radiators transfer heat to the air. Dirt on the fins blocks this heat transfer. I have seen many AC sstemns drop 5-9 degrees on the duct temp just from cleaning the condensor!. Off roaders need to clean the radiator on a regular basis!.
Stay Cool...... no pun intended!
motorking is offline  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
  #8  
CF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
1991Jeep_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fauquier County, Virginia
Posts: 2,844
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default

Lol, it's SO SO nice to actually hear someone say my plan is good. Thanks for all the help. I will probably hold off on the rad because next week I'm gonna buy a new 2 row all metal rad from radiator barn. I WILL KEEP IT CLEAN lol. As for the concentrate that was mentioned for the coolant, is it just a higher mix of coolant? Like 30 water/ 70 coolant or something like that? Thanks for the help.
1991Jeep_Man is offline  
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
  #9  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man View Post
Lol, it's SO SO nice to actually hear someone say my plan is good. Thanks for all the help. I will probably hold off on the rad because next week I'm gonna buy a new 2 row all metal rad from radiator barn. I WILL KEEP IT CLEAN lol. As for the concentrate that was mentioned for the coolant, is it just a higher mix of coolant? Like 30 water/ 70 coolant or something like that? Thanks for the help.
You need to be at least 50/50 to get the best protection. The concentration shouldnever be above 70/30, other wise gelling will occur. A concentration like this is only needed where severe sub zero temps occur.
motorking is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
riparianbarbarian
Introductions
3
10-23-2015 03:57 PM
SteveMongr
Cherokee Chat
6
10-22-2015 10:05 PM
Puffmanny
Modified XJ Cherokee Tech
16
10-04-2015 06:19 PM
anbrumm
Cherokee Chat
15
10-02-2015 01:07 PM
Bearstream
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
2
09-28-2015 10:53 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some quick help...


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: