Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some quick help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Question Need some quick help...

Here lately my 91 XJ has been runnin warm, and I think a dirty rad may be part of the culprit. Until I can afford a new 2 row from radiatorbarn, I want to clean my rad. I just need some quick help

First, how do I go about cleaning it? I figured it would be good to spray out towards the headlights as to blast everything back the way it came in. My plan; disconnect the fan shroud and lay it back, disconnect the e-fan and lay it back, remove the front grille, spray some cleanin crap from A/Z, and then wash. Sound good? Would a regular unpressurized hose wash ok or would it ruin the fins?

Second, I did the coolant test (the one with the 5 ***** and they rise according to heat protection) and only 2 ***** rose.. I take it this is bad. I am currently running Prestone 50/50 coolant.. what can I use for optimum cooling?

Finally, and totally off topic, how do I get this side piece of my bumper back on?

Name:  100_0273.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  77.4 KB

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

btw, just found out my primary issue is the fan clutch, but still need help with the cleaning and everything..
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

bump
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

you can do that back spray and hopefully it works. probably better to pull hte rad and do it but try it out
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radiator cleaning

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Here lately my 91 XJ has been runnin warm, and I think a dirty rad may be part of the culprit. Until I can afford a new 2 row from radiatorbarn, I want to clean my rad. I just need some quick help

First, how do I go about cleaning it? I figured it would be good to spray out towards the headlights as to blast everything back the way it came in. My plan; disconnect the fan shroud and lay it back, disconnect the e-fan and lay it back, remove the front grille, spray some cleanin crap from A/Z, and then wash. Sound good? Would a regular unpressurized hose wash ok or would it ruin the fins?

Second, I did the coolant test (the one with the 5 ***** and they rise according to heat protection) and only 2 ***** rose.. I take it this is bad. I am currently running Prestone 50/50 coolant.. what can I use for optimum cooling?

Finally, and totally off topic, how do I get this side piece of my bumper back on?

Attachment 19898

Thanks everyone.
I am the tech manager at Prestone. Your plan is good, I would soak both sides of the radiator with orange based degreaser/cleaner. Most auto parts stores sell it. Only use a garden hose yo flush, dont use a pressure washer as it may damage th rad. The two ***** floating shows your concentration is not high enough of ethylene glycol. Buy some concentrate, drain about two qts of coolant and add the concentrated af. run the engine for 15 minutes, let it cool down and recheck. Cant help with the bumper sorry
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I love that kind of answer: "Your plan is good". I NEVER hear that...I hear "...What, are you nuts? That'll ruin everything...have it your way...it's your money...not with a ten foot pole...and other such comments...but I do NOT hear "Your plan is good, nothing will go wrong".

Cool answer.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Default radiator cleaning

Originally Posted by CAEMI
I love that kind of answer: "Your plan is good". I NEVER hear that...I hear "...What, are you nuts? That'll ruin everything...have it your way...it's your money...not with a ten foot pole...and other such comments...but I do NOT hear "Your plan is good, nothing will go wrong".

Cool answer.
dude,
I own a repair shop. You would not belive how many people over look the basics and want some "magic bullet" that will fix their problem. Radiators transfer heat to the air. Dirt on the fins blocks this heat transfer. I have seen many AC sstemns drop 5-9 degrees on the duct temp just from cleaning the condensor!. Off roaders need to clean the radiator on a regular basis!.
Stay Cool...... no pun intended!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Lol, it's SO SO nice to actually hear someone say my plan is good. Thanks for all the help. I will probably hold off on the rad because next week I'm gonna buy a new 2 row all metal rad from radiator barn. I WILL KEEP IT CLEAN lol. As for the concentrate that was mentioned for the coolant, is it just a higher mix of coolant? Like 30 water/ 70 coolant or something like that? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Lol, it's SO SO nice to actually hear someone say my plan is good. Thanks for all the help. I will probably hold off on the rad because next week I'm gonna buy a new 2 row all metal rad from radiator barn. I WILL KEEP IT CLEAN lol. As for the concentrate that was mentioned for the coolant, is it just a higher mix of coolant? Like 30 water/ 70 coolant or something like that? Thanks for the help.
You need to be at least 50/50 to get the best protection. The concentration shouldnever be above 70/30, other wise gelling will occur. A concentration like this is only needed where severe sub zero temps occur.