Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some answers before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI
Exclamation Need some answers before I buy...

Ok I found an 88 cherokee down the road for $250... It is rust free and all the parts except for the fuel pump are still original... there are 230k miles on the original 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed tranny... The guy that owns it said it didnt run when he bought it but replaced the fuel pump and got the xj running for five minutes then couldnt get it going again... The guy that owns it doesnt have time to mess with it and thats why he is selling it... I just would like to hear what you guys think the problem with it could be for not running... and also if it would be worth the buy... I'm trying to convince my grandparents to help me buy it cuz I want a car that I can work on and be proud of it

Thanks, Buddy
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Dude I would JUMP ON IT QUICK!!! That would be awesome!!! If he got it running and it just quit. Could be the fuel filter. A $10 fix. All you need to do is turn the key to the one position and push the pressure valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel shoots out or barley drips out. I would check the fuel pump relay and the filter. If everything is stock I would check the filter first and make sure there isn't any junk in it.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it has been sitting for a while, there could a number of different sensors that have corrosion on the contacts causing a malfunction. Unfortunately the 88 is a Renix engine control system that does not store trouble codes on the sensors.It could something simple or you could pull all you hair out trying to get it running. But hey, for $250 I would buy just to **** my wife off by having a 5th XJ in the driveway.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Yea I'm trying to buy it before my friend does... so I'll probably go down there tomorrow and buy it or tell the guy I'll have the money for him next week... cuz i've been looking for an xj since november 07 and This is the best looking one I have seen yet.. and it the least expensive one i have seen... But I do remember the owner saying something about a coil and a sensor...
Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM

OK I BOUGHT IT for 250!!! Just gotta pick it up when I get back from camping this weekend.. first thing I'm gonna do is change the fuel filter.. and see if that was the problem... But thanks for helping me out you guys... Now I gotta start on my build thread