Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help, weird banging noise. probably bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default need help, weird banging noise. probably bad

For the past two days i've had this weird metal on metal banging noise coming from what seems to be right under my feet. It only does it when it is in gear, but i got under my jeep and looked and there is nothing directly under the floor where i think it is coming from. Also if im at a stop light with my foot on the brake it will do it then too maybe once a second for about five seconds. I checked my drive shaft and there is no play in it at all. And i and my father are completely baffled by what it might be. It will also make the noise and you can feel it hit when you go to start the jeep. But both motor mounts look ok, and were replaced a few months ago. So i'm thinking it is not the engine doing it. Also i checked the exhaust and pretty much everything else imaginable under it and nothing seems to do it. So any suggestions to what it might be before i take it to a mechanic and drop some money in it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by XJSawyerOB
For the past two days i've had this weird metal on metal banging noise coming from what seems to be right under my feet. It only does it when it is in gear, but i got under my jeep and looked and there is nothing directly under the floor where i think it is coming from. Also if im at a stop light with my foot on the brake it will do it then too maybe once a second for about five seconds. I checked my drive shaft and there is no play in it at all. And i and my father are completely baffled by what it might be. It will also make the noise and you can feel it hit when you go to start the jeep. But both motor mounts look ok, and were replaced a few months ago. So i'm thinking it is not the engine doing it. Also i checked the exhaust and pretty much everything else imaginable under it and nothing seems to do it. So any suggestions to what it might be before i take it to a mechanic and drop some money in it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
sounds like my wj. i've checked everything you have, with the addition of a tranny rebuild and transfer case rebuild (w/ a new drive chain). the noise is still there and i'm still stumped, please post up anything you find out
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

sounds like you both need someone eles under jeep pushing banging and prying on things till YOU inside go.. hey hey yea thats what it feels like.. :}
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

try moving the tcase shifter just a tiny, tiny bit dont move it into 4wd. Mine makes a tink, tink tink sound once in a while but if I move the tcase shifter maybe about an 1/8 of an inch it goes away. just really light pressure to move it too, not enough to engage anything.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

If its not while your moving...that narrows things down a bit. Two things that come to mind are a loose t case chain rattling around in the t case, or your exhaust hitting something. There is a bushing that holds an exhaust hanger right ontop of the cross member next to the tranny mount take a look at that.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM

it also does it while moving, over bumps and such. i dont think its the exhaust because it sounds and feels like a solid piece of metal hitting.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

i had a stock control arm wallow out a bit (stamped steel is kinda crap) and the control arm did not cause any wobble or vibes or shakes when driving but when i went over bumps you could feel it hitting the floor board and you could here it too. attempt to really move the control arm and see if you get any play. when i took it out the bushing was nearly perfect the control arm had a small oval shape to it

Last edited by 96_xj; 03-11-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: woops didnt read the 'happens while not moving' part
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM

that would make sense though, because it does it when i come to an abrupt stop. But it could be a combination of things, which im not sure about
Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

in my buddies grand cherokee and my other buddies yukon they have a weird banging that we determined to be (i forgot the exact term) something lose in the Catalytic converter. only happened when they had it in drive. they replaced the cat and all was good as new
Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

I now think it has something to do with the transfer case. the noise only really starts happening after you reach 35 mph. And when you turn very sharp it binds like it is in 4wd. It seems like it is not fully disengaging from 4wd. Is there any adjustments that i can do? I'd rather do this myself then take it to a mech.