Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help: Power issues on 89 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cylinders L 4.0L FI
Default Need Help: Power issues on 89 XJ

Hello Community,

I need some help. I picked up an 89 XJ about a year ago. I've been working to get it road worthy so I can take it threw state inspection. I want to get the Washington State Inspection done before I start throwing a lot of money into it. At some point this will be my 4X4 toy.

Here is my current issue: I have no power to the Stereo or Heater. I've replaced the light switch and the ignition switch both were rusted, I used electrical cleaning spray before plugging in the new switch. And still get nothing. It's bee about 3 months since I worked on it last, I am going to go home tonight and tinker around with it. But wanted to see if their is anything else besides the standard fuzebox/ignition switch I should check? I have heard about breakers before does the XJ have breakers that can go bad?

I will follow back up with more details like if I get lights to the dash and stuff like that. FYI the XJ does run and drive just fine so it makes me think this is isolated to the dash.

Please forgive me with the newbie questions I am still new to the jeep world but I am dedicated within the last year I got an 06 commander and the 89 Cherokee (XJ).
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

All I can say is the obvious. Check and clean fuses and clean the grounds under the dash. Also make sure the radio is good to start with try a 12 volt power wire off the battery to it. As far as the heat goes your being kind of vague. What is not working? No fan? No heat at all?

Also check this link out for a lot of GREAT info on renix issues: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/

Last edited by Black89; 10-29-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Hey thanks for the quick response my apologies for being vague it's been a while since I tinkered with it. I went out this morning and here are my findings.

Radio: discovered that someone stole my radio so I can't test that. I pulled out my voltage tester and I get switched power but no constant.

Heater: I get no fan, I move the ***** around and nothing happens I put it on AC and check the compressor and found that the compressor does not engage when set for MAX AC. I confirmed that all wires are plugged in and sung.

Dash Lights: I got my cluster lights to come on but they were dim and intermittent. (I already replaced the light switch a few months back). So maybe it's some burned up wires?

I am trying to avoid taking the entire dash apart and follow each and every wire to ensure everything all is good.

Thanks for the links BLACK89 this will come in handy. If you or anyone else has any additional suggestions I am all ears!

Thanks

- RecklessReward
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Check the main ground for the dash lights. It's down by the hood release. crusiers page has a post about cleaning it and doing an upgrade for better ground. Have you also confirmed that all fuses are good in the box? if not pull, test clean and replace as needed. For the radio you have two power wires one that is live all the time for memory and one for switch on power. If you still have the factory plug then that should be easy to figure out if not then you may have to dig for loose wires. I would start with the dash ground and the fuse box then go from there. For the heater a quick way to see if the motor is good is to pull it out and hook it up to 12 volts. Hold on tight to the can when you do this. If it works then you know it's a switch issue or wiring.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM

Ok it's been a few weeks and I have done some things over the last week and a half and am still seeing the same issues:

What I've done:
Reviewed Cruiser's post and I replaced the braded wire that goes between the back of the block and the firewall upgraded with a cable from the parts store.

Checked the ground wire under the dash that is attached by the hood release like you suggested it looks fine but I pulled it off and cleaned it up just to be sure.

Also replaced both the Headlight switch and ignition switch. Only cost me 25$ from amazon so thought It was worth the shot.

Even after all this I am still having issues with the dash lights.

I pulled the cluster off the dash and checked the connections that go to the cluster and they look fine. I get lights on the side panel that tell you your E brake is engaged. But no lights on the main part of the cluster. Since I had the cluster out I checked as many wires as I could to ensure that everything looked ok, I didn't see any burned up wires. I stated before that the lights in the dash were dim and would intermittently work since then I have not see the dash lights come on at all.

As described before, my radio gets power to the switched line but not from the constant wire.

I have not tried running a hot wire directly to the fan on the heater that will be my next attempt. but since the AC does not engage I don't think it's an issue with the heater fan.

Anything else you can think of?

- RecklessReward
Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Oh and I checked the fuses and they all testing good. :-)

- RecklessReward