Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help with High Beam Switch After Steering Wheel Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need Help with High Beam Switch After Steering Wheel Repair

I recently was fixing the "tilt wobble" issue on my 87 XJ. I have struggled with putting the hi-lo beam switch on correctly. I understand that the metal rod gets pushed and pulled but I'm not seeing how the whole mechanism goes together so that the turn signal switch clicks when making the transition. Right now, I have high beams at all times.

Any help on how that mechanism goes back together?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM

On my 94 fwiw. Follow the rid down the steering wheel shaft. You with find the hi/low beam controller (unknown if actual name) use a Phillips #2 screwdriver loosen the screws on controller and can adjust the hi/low until it works how you want it. I had the problem where hi on one beam and low on other. Adjust that and it worked perfectly
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BearMBD
On my 94 fwiw. Follow the rid down the steering wheel shaft. You with find the hi/low beam controller (unknown if actual name) use a Phillips #2 screwdriver loosen the screws on controller and can adjust the hi/low until it works how you want it. I had the problem where hi on one beam and low on other. Adjust that and it worked perfectly
Thanks for this but where I'm having trouble is actually in the steering wheel itself. There is a plastic piece in there that causes the beam level to change when you pull on the signal arm. It fell out when I was fixing my "Tilt Wobble" issue and I'm not sure how to get it back in properly. I know how it seats in there but now how it interacts with the arm.