Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need advice re: purchase of Jeep Cherokee Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need advice re: purchase of Jeep Cherokee Sport

Hello everyone, new member today. I am buying a jeep cherokee for a daily driver. it's a 93, 4.0L V6, 4x4, 4 door, sport with 177K. I believe the catalytic converter needs replaced which I will look for at the junk yard. What are or is going to be the most likely repair that I will have to make? I know that's a vague question so I don't mind various answers but I've not had the chance to really test drive it yet. I'm handy with tools and can read a repair manual and follow through with the instructions. My dad had one that he put 250K and it still road well, despite the headliner dry rotting on him. thanks and I look forward to contributing to this forum with my Q & A's. aaron
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

welcome to the forum.

Now for the jeep, It's simple start at the front and work your way to the back. Up and down.

As a new to you jeep everything should be given a once over. Which will let you figure out what has to be done first in order of most severity.

use this forum and search button for all sorts of write ups and threads on doing just about anything.

And most JY don't let you buy catalytic converters, they rip them off when the vehicle gets there.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Just look for any normal thing you'd look for with any car.

Then make sure the front end suspension and floors are all good.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

The very rare 93 4.0 V6?

I bet you meant 4.0 I6 (inline six)... what transmission, auto or manual?
Welcome to CF!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

You didn't mention the trans type but if it's an automatic check out the shifting thoroughly. Also check the cooling system. These have been my two areas of aggravation.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM

I forgot to ask in the last post, is there a handheld computer that I can rent at my local auto store that will allow me to plug into this 93 Jeep ? and if so, will it tell me or give me codes that I then have to decifer. I've priced the catalyc converter it's only about $100. unless I need to add pieces to the exhaust system too. I need a car to drive and I think the price is right. Just wanted a little bit more confidence in my gut before I pay for it. thanks,

A.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Right forgot, yes inline 6. it's automatic and it does shift well, seems to idle fine, the AC blows cold, doesn't seem to over heat, the fluids look and smell normal. not much rust either, mostly cosmetic issues, perhaps some tires down the road. I'll add more to my profile once I get home later today. gotta go, but thanks for all your posts.

A.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Your 93 won't have obdII so nothing to plug into. To extract codes I believe the process is turn it on and get the rpms to about two or two and a half thou. Then slowly let it back down to idle and cycle the ac on through off while you do it. Then shut the motor off. With the key in the off position, turn to on position, off, on, off, on and then leave it there. The check engine light will flash a number of times, pause and then repeatm the first number of times it flashes is the first digit of the code and second is obviously second. After it flashes all stored codes, it will flash 55 which ie end of diagnostic.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Default thanks for helping me to make an informed desecion

After much thought and the fact that I had a not in my gut that did not feel right, I passed on buying the Jeep. I almost bought it based on emotions which would've been a big mistake. I still don't have wheels but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

The jeep was blowing bluish/grayish smoke and I heard a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. After tallying up the expenses just to get it inspected plus the purchase price, left me with no room for error.

I will repost should I find another Jeep. Thank you.

A.