Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My " official " help me fix Anya thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default My " official " help me fix Anya thread!

ok, so i've had so many problems with this money pit that im so in love with, i decided from now on any issues i have with it im going to take pictures of and post here for assistance. this will be a recurring thread that will be updated whenever i have a new issue, so mods i ask please, if this is in the wrong area, move it, or else do with it what need be done so it doesnt get deleted.

ok, so the 2 pix im attaching here, one is of my newest problem, one of the coolant tubes ( going into the heater core it appears ) has fallen off, and all my coolant came power blasting out of the tube with the arrow on it, soaking and nearly destroying half of my wires. hot liquid + wires = MASSIVE failure. my question is, what needs to be replaced here, the tube with the arrow on it ( which goes back to where the thermostat is ) or the smaller tube which goes into the heater core?

the other picture is of my battery terminal. when i bought it, it had 3 wires, the big thick red one that goes to the starter, the smaller red one on the one side that goes to the...what i THINK is the solenoid, it goes to other electronics, and the small black one that isnt currently attached. my question is, what is it that the black one is supposed to go to...could that ones lack of connection be part of the reason im having issues with it not starting all the time?

another question with no related picture ( couldnt get a decent shot of it ), near where the wiring for the horn is, there is a wire coming out of the headlight area with nothing on the end, its just broken. if you look further back towards the inside of the vehicle, on the same side, behind the wiper fluid reservoir, is what appears to be the other end of that wire, same color, same size, and same look to it, like it was broke off. any thoughts?

the horn has gotten a muffled, higher pitch to it than what it originally had. how do i get to the horn itself to see whats wrong with it?

other issues:

death wobble: as yet undiagnosed, not that much of a concern to me atm.

pulls to the right: got a front end alignment and rotated the tires myself, still pulls. wtf???

has a mind of its own with starting: self explanatory. doesnt start at all at complete random, then a few days later, starts perfectly like nothing is wrong. have already replaced both battery terminals, starter wire, 2 fusible links, and the ignition module, and its still acting up. wtf?

has a very erratic idle after running the engine for 30 seconds or so: self explanatory...idles between the first line above the 0 and the 1 at complete random

things that need replacing:

flex-hose going from the air intake to some heating element ( its been shredded from the electric fan being broken )

valve cover gasket: leaking oil like a mad-Jeep.

exhaust pipe and hangers: hangers broke off in 2 places, putting 2 huge holes in the tail pipe

as mentioned above, the electric fans frame is broken from me failing when i replaced the radiator a month ago

all 4 tires are lame, and need to be replaced asap. i have like no traction.

projects im working on for it:

adding a snorkel...i wanted to replace the air intake system anyway, so i might as well go all-out ^_^

repainting my now-faded, formerly smexy orange rims

adding a roof rack and basket, thus allowing the relocation of my spare tire and extra gas can, as well as my tools

removal of the rear sway bar ( still iffy on this, but i wanna do it just to see what it rides like. if its too wobbly ill reattach it )

ok, my fellow Jeepers, have fun dissecting this mess. any and all help is appreciated and needed, and if i can ever return the favor, i happily will. thanks in advance!

Josh, Jeep fanatic
Krissy, fiancee and fellow Jeep fanatic ( though not so much, shes providing repair money )

and of course, Anya, the Jeep in need of so many repairs.
Attached Thumbnails My " official " help me fix Anya thread!-battery-connect-fail.jpg   My " official " help me fix Anya thread!-coolant-tube-fail.jpg  

Last edited by LoveMy89Anya; 05-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by LoveMy89Anya
the horn has gotten a muffled, higher pitch to it than what it originally had. how do i get to the horn itself to see whats wrong with it?
Mine is inside the drivers side front bumper,Check the ground wire and connection.

death wobble: as yet undiagnosed, not that much of a concern to me atm.
I am not very experienced with this but I do believe that the "death wobble" is due to worn steering and suspension parts. Lots of posts related to this issue on here.

pulls to the right: got a front end alignment and rotated the tires myself, still pulls. wtf???
Check for a sticking brake caliper on the side your jeep is pulling too.

has a very erratic idle after running the engine for 30 seconds or so: self explanatory...idles between the first line above the 0 and the 1 at complete random
Have you checked your IAC aka idle air control valve?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:50 PM

valve cover gasket seems to be an issue with a lot of jeeps...mine was leaking so bad that it seemed like my jeep was on fire from all the smoke...really easy to fix if you have the inline 6cyln....$5 for autozone gasket and about $4 for some good RTV fixed the problem...took about 20 min
Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 litre

Don't put a cork gasket either it will fail quick. Go with the rubber gasket and RTV.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

looks like your heater control valve is broken, is there still plastic inside that hose? you'll need a new one
definitely clean your IAC and also the ccv when you do your valver cover or better yet buy a new one, its the small line on the rear of the valve cover
as for the dw is is most likely going to be a combination of the things that cause dw, thats how it was with mine, it is never just one part
Old 05-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered Users

so i took the IAC off and the little cone is coated in grease. i should clean that right?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM

so i took the IAC off and the little cone is coated in grease. i should clean that right?
yup, I used a nylon brush and card cleaner, don't forget to clean out the passages in the tb that it goes into
Old 05-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered Users

ok. now, as far as the heater control valve is concerned, what is shown in my picture is what i have in the vehicle. so did something fall out when i was driving, or am i a dee dee dee? lol
Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM

ok. now, as far as the heater control valve is concerned, what is shown in my picture is what i have in the vehicle. so did something fall out when i was driving, or am i a dee dee dee? lol
looks like the plastic just broke

yours broke just to the left of the valve
Old 05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Kuro89
looks like the plastic just broke

yours broke just to the left of the valve
it doesnt have any of that other stuff, its all one little tube. lemme take a better pic and ill show u what i mean. brb
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM

that is the control valve just the orientation is different
that hose that broke attaches to the left of the valve
like so

its old brittle plastic, happened to my friends, mine has the open cooling system
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

autozone sell it according to the site http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Everco-Heater-Control-Valve/1989-Jeep-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-iuad6Z91sh0;jsessionid=7BEA929FCDAAA5E02A72D101E67 B79B5.diyprod1-b2c2?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=hater+control+valve &fromString=search&itemIdentifier=815434_0_0__
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

its th e same its broke here
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

just cut the other hoses if there to short to install new pc get longer hose and clamps
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

There was a recent thread with a screamin' deal on exhaust.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dyn...exhaust-83717/

Quick Reply: My " official " help me fix Anya thread!