Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Jeep update.....

Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Jeep update.....

so i have some problems wit my jeep and need help trouble shooting....

read some here.....https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hard-question-you-jeep-heads-687/

as a follow up i checked some lines didnt see any clogged or bent but im not sure if i checked well enough....

....couple i things i noticed while test driving

1.) the idle speed is kinda screwy...when i rev it around 4000 for a couple seconds and let it down it idles at 1000 for a few seconds and it works its way to 750 but the needle is hoppin up n down, its not steady......

....then i pop it in drive and the idle goes to around 300, needle still poppin up n down, the jeep sounds like its runnin crappy....

2.) next i noticed when in park the exaust has bursts of air poppin out of the exaust pipe when i put my hand in front of it....nothing major but not sure if their should be no poppin at all

.....when i put it in drive and the idle speed goes down it starts poppin a lot more and a lot harder.......when im drving its even worse and when accelerating it seems acceleration is normal then all of a sudden it slows tremendously and stays at a low speed, it does this at different speeds from about 5 to 25......

FYI.....when in park everything seems great, i can rev it and it sounds good, i rev'd it at 4000 for like 20 to 30 seconds and it didnt skip a beat, when in drive it starts actin screwy, to me (uneducated) it sounds like an air related problem but i dont kno very much (just basics)
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Different approach to try, Keep listening to me and you might get dirty, check your tranny fluid. I'm guessing you have an automatic, Which for me is a gray maybe even black area, being i don't own any and don't want any. Anyways check your tranny fluid. Pull out the dipstick and look at the fluid, wipe with fingers (told ya you gonna get dirty) then smell your finger (insert various sexual comment as pleased). does it smell burnt, does it look black or extra dark. don't wipe your fingers off yet your not done, pretend your thumbing money and rub fluid between fingers. Your feeling to make sure the fluid is still lubricating the tranny, and that is not gritty at all. Remember check your tranny fluid with the engine hot and in neutral i believe. IE drive it till it's at it's running temp and then stop don't shut off engine pop hood pull tranny dipstick. you may want to do a tranny flush and fluid and filter change. being it only does it when in a drive gear i would lean more towards a possible tranny issue. Let us know how that turns out, keep in mind i wrote this at one in the morning after not getting off work till ten and an hour ride home, so if you would like ignore the little off subject comments or have a little laugh on me i won't mind.

Bastard Child
Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 PM

what color should the tranny fluid be?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

reddish, if you have an auto
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 AM

when i checked it looked dark reddish....is that right or should it be light reddish?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

as long as you can clearly see that it is red and it doesn't smell burnt then you should be ok. I would do a service on it any way. when it gets dark it means that it is getting dirty from clutch material.

you should service your tranny every 15000 miles. I do mine every time I service my rear end!