Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new guy

Hi, everyone. Nice to find this forum ... sad that I only looked for it cuz of problems though. I belong to another forum for XS11 motorcycles and it has been a fabulous resource for working on my 4 XS's . Gotta' love the web and the info avaliable on it, right?

I bought my 98 XJ new and now have over 250K on the original engine and trans. Prior to this year, I had only replaced the fuel pump about five years ago .... NO belt driven component or starter motor had ever failed. It all came to an abrupt end when I recently lost the alternator, water pump and now I don't know what is causing my current problem. This has been a great vehicle for sure and I intend to have it for the rest of my life..

Engine has had two 'fits' of stalling both when the tank is near reserve but not there yet. Sometimes takes a half hour to restart and then it may fail again abruptly. At first I suspected a fuel delievery problem but now I don't think it's fuel cuz it just now failed while idling in my driveway and I ran out and checked the fuel schraeder valve and had a pretty good healthy squirt.

Others are sayin' CPS .... obviously don't know myself. Haven't borrowed a code reader to check codes yet. Could use any input .... anyone ever experience this symptom?>
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to throw my vote in for the CPS. it sounds like the classic signs especially if its original. its not terribly expensive and probably should be replaced anyways so it doesnt leave you stranded one day.

-Kyle
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Thx, Kyle .... you're makin good sense. I have since found a resistance test for it ... should be pretty simple to check, according to Haynes anyway
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vistacruiser
Thx, Kyle .... you're makin good sense. I have since found a resistance test for it ... should be pretty simple to check, according to Haynes anyway
yah, haynes usually treats me well.

-Kyle
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM

Its always nice to see high milers! 250K on original stuff is awesome!