Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard question for you Jeep Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard question for you Jeep Heads?

i own an 89 Cherokee Laredo 4.0

...so i got a problem with my jeep...i took it to a jeep shop and they couldnt determine the problem...he said all the sensors n such checked out....

the situation...

...it takes about 5 seconds of cranking time to start and when it does start it sounds like it is going to choke out and it kinda "gargles" but it starts....

....ill be driving and the jeep runs like crap, sometimes it wont even go over 20 miles an hour....it kinda just putters down the road...i thought it was a transmission problem...seemed like the gears werent shifting but thats not it...

....someone told me it was the o2 (or catalytic converter) sensor....but it checked out.....then the mecanic tells me the sensor is going haywire cuz the engine is running cold which makes the sensor go crazy but that doesnt make sense cuz i ran it without a thermostat for 2 years....

....im thinkin the whole computer might need replacing...

...does anyone kno whats going on?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

did they do anything with your CPS?

-Kyle
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

could be a severely clogged cat or collapsed exhaust somewhere. (some xj's have headers with 2 layers of pipe so you might not be able to see it externally)

sure sounds like an interesting problem, but good luck with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM

CHECK YOUR MAP SENSOR!CHECK YOUR MAP SENSOR! Experienced the same problem jeep sat for a week trying to figure out the little piece of hose that connects the vacuum line to the map sensor had been bent. Straightened it out and it all went away. It's the sensor the sits on your fire wall just below the hood line just above and to the right of the valve cover.

Bastard Child
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 AM

and @ kyle....if the CPS is the computer than he said he didnt check it cuz there is no way to check it but he said it was a strong possibility it could be the computer.....i also see you from RP....i live in Santa Rosa

Last edited by Funky Fresh; 02-06-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM

does that help. there is a vacuum line the is a hard line that goes to it. mine was connect via a 1 inch long piece of soft line and it had got bent 90 degress so it wasn't getting any vacuum. check to make sure the line is not bent and that it is not clogged. also check over the wiring going to it.

Bastard Child
Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

thats cool, maybe we could get together some time

the CPS is a sensor (crank position sensor) but i think im with bastard child on this one. check out the map sensor.

-Kyle
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Sounds crazy but look into the coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing. Mine did the exact same thing you describe. At lights or stop signs it would try to stall and had little power. Changed temp sensor and its back to 100%.

Maybe I missed it but, is the check engine light on?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
thats cool, maybe we could get together some time

the CPS is a sensor (crank position sensor) but i think im with bastard child on this one. check out the map sensor.

-Kyle
yea i got a new cps in...the old wasnt bad so i got 2

Originally Posted by Bastard Child

does that help. there is a vacuum line the is a hard line that goes to it. mine was connect via a 1 inch long piece of soft line and it had got bent 90 degress so it wasn't getting any vacuum. check to make sure the line is not bent and that it is not clogged. also check over the wiring going to it.

Bastard Child
yea man....thanks...helps alot...i wish their was rep button i could press to give ya some rep.....

Originally Posted by BonesJackson
Sounds crazy but look into the coolant temp sensor in the thermostat housing. Mine did the exact same thing you describe. At lights or stop signs it would try to stall and had little power. Changed temp sensor and its back to 100%.

Maybe I missed it but, is the check engine light on?
thanks...ill look into it....the check engine light aint on but that could be the result of ****ty electrical.....my car used to get puddles of water in it so moisture might have ruined some electrical....

....by the temp sensor you mean the thermostat right? the round thing that allows flow of coolent through the engine?

Last edited by Funky Fresh; 02-06-2008 at 05:49 PM.