Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Jeep is making me sick

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My Jeep is making me sick

I've searched the forums, and I already decided I have an exhaust leak, but I haven't seen anyone talking about symptoms or temporary fixes. I recently bought an '88 Cherokee, and I took it down to LA because my Dad was going to help me fix it (and I wanted to see the fam). By the time I got there (about 300 mi.) I was barely in control. I'm not proud of this, but when I was 20 or so, I'd driven drunk, stoned, and on acid. The condition I was in when I got home this time was way worse than anything before.

We fixed the exhaust, but you can still hear the leak, and I think I need to replace the manifold. When I drive to and from work, I feel very bad (pretty much drunk) by the time I get home. I need to save up the money to replace it.

In the mean time, I need to find a way to keep the exhaust from coming into the passenger compartment. I've looked at the car, and the Haynes manual, but I just can't figure it out. Also, the vent settings are a little vague.

I mostly drive on the highway, so I think if I roll the windows down and get some airflow it should be fine for now, but currently there seems to be enough gas getting in that that's not good enough.

I'm not even sure this is the problem. I've never seen anyone on this forum or others talking about problems with carbon monoxide poisoning. It's usually just a technical issue where the motor doesn't work right. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I had a problem. My rear hatch gasket was so bad, if I opened my driver window a ways, the vacuum would suck in enough exhaust in to be a problem. For a few days before I fixed it I'd keep the windows up and blow the vent on high. (positive cabin pressure). Don't know what's up with your exhaust thou.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Not only did i not understand this question i dont know why you told us you drive Drunk or on drug's.. What the heck?

As for ur jeep. The noise is what he said it's on the Floor in the rear of you're jeep. Seal it. or replace it. Or check the line's going under the carpet in the rear hatch? i solved this by painting over everything ( Didnt mean too )
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by The87XJ
Not only did i not understand this question i dont know why you told us you drive Drunk or on drug's.. What the heck?

As for ur jeep. The noise is what he said it's on the Floor in the rear of you're jeep. Seal it. or replace it. Or check the line's going under the carpet in the rear hatch? i solved this by painting over everything ( Didnt mean too )
I wasn't trying to crow, I was simply trying to illustrate that I've done drugs and this is worse than drugs. I feel that I'm in a dangerous situation and I haven't heard anyone talking about that.

As for the exhaust, I just had it replaced with new pipes and it's worse now. I think that if I could make sure no air was coming from the engine compartment, I could manage the amount of CO that I am breathing in.

I know it needs to be fixed, but what can I DO RIGHT NOW?

I don't do drugs. I just wanted to express how important this is,

Last edited by mecharedneck; 01-28-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: I don't do drugs
Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

more info needed , if you have a stick shift there are 2 boots for the transmission tunnel. The boot under the console boot is more than likely shot. Once it's shot you will get excessive amounts of noxious fumes coming into the cab. as DFlintstone said the negative cabin pressure in the cab will draw these fumes inside- resulting in the experience that you are describing. The fumes from a hot engine with minor oil leaks are intoxicating, and if your exhaust manifold is cracked the situation is worse.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 AM

What about a bag with duct tape?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by mecharedneck
What about a bag with duct tape?
What, put the bag over his head and seal it up with duct tape around his neck?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I know that when I took my carpet out of the back seat and had plastic water bottles on the floor, they would melt from the heat of the exhaust. That was pretty bad but I just put the carpet from the cargo area as floor mats and it was no longer melting stuff and making me sick.

Look under your jeep and see if you can notice any rusted holes over the cat or other parts of the exhaust. If you want you can have heat sheilds put over the exhaust parts to make it less hot.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi

Dude, you should just take the bus until you get this fixed, your killing yourself..
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

If you know the exhaust manifold is compromised, there isn't any shortcut but to fix it.

If you have a solid exhaust from tip to tip, even if you have holes in the sheet metal, there is no leaking exhaust to get into the cab.

Fix the exhaust manifold.