Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My ABS Light is on...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default My ABS Light is on...

I have a 97' Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ...the ABS light has been on but I feel no difference in the brake pedal...just looking to find out which is the better oil to use so I don't mess this up?
The people that own the truck before me messed up the radiator by putting the wrong stuff inside so I'm also replacing that.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

typical for the abs light to be on. These arent the best systems and may be better without it. But i dont know much bout the system and making it functional again. Also fluid doesnt affect it. Just make sure its brake fluid and youre good to go lol. But also where the u joints are in the front there should be a little gear looking thingy there. I forgot the name but thats the sensor and gear for the abs that detects a stopped wheel check those sensors and clean them and maybe adjust them then see where you end up after that. As i stated i dont know much but the basics and if you want a working system you may need to replace alot of parts.... well not alot but wallet munching parts.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Also just for s&g try to find something that wont wreck your tires like a sandy patch and go a good amount of speed then jam on the brakes. Some jeeps i seen have the light but still works or just shuts the system off and reverts them back to normal brakes. Also im not positive im going off a gm car but wheel bearings may affect abs systems as well as worn brake pads too.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DevilynAngel769
I have a 97' Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ...the ABS light has been on but I feel no difference in the brake pedal...just looking to find out which is the better oil to use so I don't mess this up?
The people that own the truck before me messed up the radiator by putting the wrong stuff inside so I'm also replacing that.
Brakes don't use oil...

If you don't know what you're doing, then you need to start reading up, educate yourself, and make an informed decision on how to tackle your problem.

Many things can make your ABS light come on. Find a FSM online and start reading. It will give you a solid starting point to diagnose your issue. For a FSM I suggest http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Has everything you want and then some.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I bought a 99 Cherokee once. The ABS light was on.
"It needs an ABS sensor" the guy selling it said. What he didn't tell me was that the tone ring on the front axle shaft blew apart and the pieces of that tone ring wiped out the sensor.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Owning a service manual does not make you a mechanic either. I encourage people to learn how to work on their own vehicles but if you think oil will fix your ABS light then you should probably take it to a shop. Or educate yourself. But really, oil...? Make friends with the local shop.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KenR
"It needs an ABS sensor" the guy selling it said. What he didn't tell me was that the tone ring on the front axle shaft blew apart and the pieces of that tone ring wiped out the sensor.
Thats the name of it!!! Brain fart lol.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
Owning a service manual does not make you a mechanic either. I encourage people to learn how to work on their own vehicles but if you think oil will fix your ABS light then you should probably take it to a shop. Or educate yourself. But really, oil...? Make friends with the local shop.
No, it doesn't. But it's a good start. At least it lays out things in a comprehensive fashion.

I'm all about DIY too, but see your point, was just trying to get him/her pointed in the right direction is all.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Brakes don't use oil...

If you don't know what you're doing, then you need to start reading up, educate yourself, and make an informed decision on how to tackle your problem.

Many things can make your ABS light come on. Find a FSM online and start reading. It will give you a solid starting point to diagnose your issue. For a FSM I suggest http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html

Has everything you want and then some.
I know what I'm talking about I was at work trying to type this. I know brakes don't take oil but fluid specified for the brakes. Try not being nasty in responding...because that's how the first line came off.
The following users liked this post:
RJWNM (09-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by KenR
i hope it's not the sensor. I hope it just needs some brake fluid and I'm good. The radiator is giving me any issue so that's my first fix before the abs light.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth

Auto correct changed fluid to oil. Was writing this at work. Dont have to be nasty in response
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,244 Posts
Year: 1990

I know what I'm talking about I was at work trying to type this. I know brakes don't take oil but fluid specified for the brakes. Try not being nasty in responding...because that's how the first line came off.
Nobody is being nasty. Cool your jets. You type "oil", we read "oil".
How do we know you're at work and mean something else?
The following users liked this post:
Ringolevio (01-31-2020)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Auto correct changed fluid to oil. Was writing this at work. Dont have to be nasty in response
Originally Posted by cruiser54
Nobody is being nasty. Cool your jets. You type "oil", we read "oil".
How do we know you're at work and mean something else?
Thanks, cruiser. Hypersensitivity at its finest, lol

Wait, was that nasty?LOL

Before you come back screaming, I'm joking.

Also, low brake fluid should never be topped off, it's low for a reason. Either a system leak or component wear. I suggest a thorough noggin poke...
Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

A dirty ABS sensor can trigger the light, too. Sometimes thats all it is, a dirty sensor.