Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Moving Accumulator Blower Replacement XJ 98

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Moving Accumulator Blower Replacement XJ 98

OK, I have a new blower motor and trying to get the old one out, and no idea how I'm going to get the new one in. The AC accumulator is in the way and watched a few YouTubes to see what others did. I removed the brackets as mentioned, but cannot seem to move/pivot the accumulator enough to see how I can get the blower out. I do not want to break anything, so I am asking here... is it expected to be able to move that &(@#*&$@ accumulator completely 90 degrees clockwise to get the &(@#*$&@(*$ blower out?

Thank you for your time! I'm a bit pissed because the youtubes I watched said it was easy. I guess I'm just timid when it comes to messing around AC stuff.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Well I finally was able to replace the blower, but I was never able to move the accumulator enough out of the way to get the old blower out or the new one in. I had to remove the fuse/relay box bolts and move it, and the coolant overflow also.

And after all that, the blower is still not running. Before I went after all this, I disconnected the connector to the blower and used a DMM to test for voltage and sure enough, there was 12v. Anyway, I have a new relay and resistor so I will go after that next. There is a chance I have a dead blower that shipped, but with the connector and cable so short, I really could not safely connect and test the blower first.

I will post what the issue was when/if I find it. This really sucks because I back flushed my heater core and used CLR and all sorts of crap came out. And now I have really good flow through it. Without the blower working though, having the heater core working is really moot. sigh.

All in all, I give replacing my blower a cuss factor of 8 out of 10. Lots of f-bombs. Everything seems to be designed to be JUST under the right amount of space to do easy. lol

NOTE: OFF TOPIC - Is it safe to run my Jeep with 10 hours of cure on Permatex 2 gasket maker on my thermostat replace? The full cure says 24 hours but we are heading out in the morning. Just wondering...

Last edited by HopWorks; 01-05-2019 at 08:35 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Thumbs up

To finish this off...

Blower not running was a relay issue. Popped a new one in and all is good. And I have HEAT! A back flush with help from my air compressor and some CLR and ALL sorts of junk came out. A new OEM 195 t-stat (and some leaking drama), and system burped with the help of a spill free funnel kit and I finally have blowing heat that I haven't had in YEARS! All because I read what all you guys posted here, my favorite forum! Thanks!!