Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C accumulator replacement and PAG oil adding

Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Question A/C accumulator replacement and PAG oil adding

Hi guys,

I've been looking around and can't quite find the exact answer I'm looking for.
I need to swap out a leaking A/C accumulator and have the following questions.

1. Do I need to drain the a/c system fully in order to open the lines or can I just let the pressure out through one of the ports? Then once I put the new one on, can I just refill the freon?

2. Before mounting the new accumulator on, can I just add 3 or so oz. of PAG 100 oil in one of the openings? Or, do I have to mount it up and add through the low pressure port with a special injector??
Also, what viscosity PAG oil do you recommend?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

V
Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If it were mine, id take it to a shop that deals with this sort of thing. They can evacuate the system properly and collect the refridgerant. Opening the lines introduces moisture into the system anyway, which needs to be vacuumed out. A shop will have the proper tools needed for that, fill, and test the system for leaks afterwards. Pressures have to be right as well.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have accidentally let out the refrigerant when I needed to pull some lines from a pickpart. I assumed the system was drained when it came in, but it evidently was not. I had loosened the hose assembly where it connects to the compressor and the r134 came out pretty quickly. Got the UV dye everywhere too.
When I moved that over to my Jeep (system had a leak in the condenser), I a replaced the condenser and the receiver-drier and added oil directly to both. I used 2oz in each and then put the system back together.
Once it was back together, I used the Harbor Freight compressor driver vacuum thing and vacuumed it down to 28 inches of mercury for 30 minutes and then charged it with R134.
This site should have what you are looking for wrt PAG oil viscosity and R134 amount: http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refri...apacities/jeep.