Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Motor swap question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor swap question

Will a 4.0 from a 98 Cherokee be a direct bolt in for a 2000 Grand Cherokee? I have a beat up XJ thats rotting apart and my buddy has a WJ with a blown motor in great shape he'll sell me for $700. It's fully loaded with factory 10 disc changer, moon roof, leather you name it. Will it work or will I have a lot to change or mod? Thanks guys. The dealer says it needs a new cam shaft but I've never went internal but I can swap motors all by myself like a big boy. lol

Should I just try to replace the cam? Are they hard to do? I know I'll have to remove the front end which isn't a problem. After that is it hard?

Last edited by troy fritz; 08-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Will a 4.0 from a 98 Cherokee be a direct bolt in for a 2000 Grand Cherokee? I have a beat up XJ thats rotting apart and my buddy has a WJ in great shape he'll sell me for $700. It's fully loaded with factory 10 disc changer, moon roof, leather you name it. Will it work or will I have a lot to change or mod? Thanks guys.
A 4.0 into a GC? No.. I don't think that's direct in any way.. I could be wrong, but that's my two Lincoln's..
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92 XJ (RIP)
Engine: I-6

Look at the accesories on the front of both engines. If the lay out of the accesory system is not the same, then you have different 4 liters. Not so much in the internal aspect but the external. Jeep went to a metric block in about 96 or 97 with the introduction of the TJ which moved the accesories to different locations. To the best of my knowledge the metric block never made it in to the XJ, but I am unsure of the Grand Cherokee. Im telling you all of this to say this; the engines should swap no problem, but you will play hell getting your alt, AC and PS from the Grand to bolt into the same place on your XJ engine block. If the accesory drive and layout is the same, and they are both 4 liters, what are you waiting on? There may be someone out there that can shed some more light onto the situation, and please lemme know if I have this jacked. I wanna learn, that's why I read this forum.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Should I just try to replace the cam? Are they hard to do? I knmow I'll have to remove the front end which isn't a problem. After that is it hard?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

If they're both 4.0L they will swap. You'll need to use the 2000's accessories, intake, exhaust, and all the sensors and anything electrical. Basically strip it down to just the block and transfer everything over from the Grand.

I know the transmissions are different, so you may also need to swap over the flex plate from the '00. Or if you can come up with a way to use the AW4 then go that route. (AW4>Stock Grand Transmission)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BRN2KL
Look at the accesories on the front of both engines. If the lay out of the accesory system is not the same, then you have different 4 liters. Not so much in the internal aspect but the external. Jeep went to a metric block in about 96 or 97 with the introduction of the TJ which moved the accesories to different locations. To the best of my knowledge the metric block never made it in to the XJ, but I am unsure of the Grand Cherokee. Im telling you all of this to say this; the engines should swap no problem, but you will play hell getting your alt, AC and PS from the Grand to bolt into the same place on your XJ engine block. If the accesory drive and layout is the same, and they are both 4 liters, what are you waiting on? There may be someone out there that can shed some more light onto the situation, and please lemme know if I have this jacked. I wanna learn, that's why I read this forum.
I'm confused, it will or it won't?

[QUOTE=Cherockee;1935841]If they're both 4.0L they will swap. You'll need to use the 2000's accessories, intake, exhaust, and all the sensors and anything electrical. Basically strip it down to just the block and transfer everything over from the Grand.

I know the transmissions are different, so you may also need to swap over the flex plate from the '00. Or if you can come up with a way to use the AW4 then go that route. (AW4>Stock Grand Transmission)
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe I'll just fix it and sell it for a few grand.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Cherockee
If they're both 4.0L they will swap. You'll need to use the 2000's accessories, intake, exhaust, and all the sensors and anything electrical. Basically strip it down to just the block and transfer everything over from the Grand.

x2

I had a similar situation. I did a swap from a '88 xj 4.0 in to my '00 xj with a blown 4.0. I used all of the 2000 accessories in order to keep my electrical stuff working right. However I did not use the exhaust from my 2000. I used the stock header that came on the '88 4.0 opposed to my manifold on my '00.

I basically took everything off of my '00 and put it on the '88 block.

It wasn't at all difficult to do on my own, took some time to learn what I was doing as it was my first mechanical operation really, but if I can do it with minimal tools, (no power tools) and a gimp cherry picker, you can certainly do it no problem!

Goodluck man, let us know what you end up doing.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hope this helps:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Sorry Fritz, I wasnt trying to confuse you. Yes the engines will swap, period. What I was saying is that you may have problems with the accesories bolting up to the engine block. Apparently Pantythief and Cherockee filled in the blanks, and they said the swap would work. I say light that candle man!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Hope this helps:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
Thanks for the info Cruiser!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna fix it and use my XJ for a winter beater and the WJ for a dd.