Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

MOPAR CPS sensor, how much from a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default MOPAR CPS sensor, how much from a dealer?

Short and sweet before I go to work. My 96 cherokee died on me at 3 lights today, and wanted to die a few more times but kept itself going. Doesn't do it in park as far as I can tell, only in drive. Also have a P1371 I believe it is, intermittent CPS/CMS connection. Called Advanced, they only have BWD or whatever. I would really really prefer mopar, and I couldn't find any online for some reason. Any ones I did find didn't look like they would fit. How much would a mopar CPS be from a Jeep dealer? And I know it's the CPS because when I fiddle with the CPS wiring the check engine goes away. Already tried cleaning the plug. Should I try taking the actual sensor off and clean it with electrical cleaner? Either clean it or buy one from the dealer. Sorry I'm all over the place, been a long day and I have to get to work soon.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by SlickXJ
Short and sweet before I go to work. My 96 cherokee died on me at 3 lights today, and wanted to die a few more times but kept itself going. Doesn't do it in park as far as I can tell, only in drive. Also have a P1371 I believe it is, intermittent CPS/CMS connection. Called Advanced, they only have BWD or whatever. I would really really prefer mopar, and I couldn't find any online for some reason. Any ones I did find didn't look like they would fit. How much would a mopar CPS be from a Jeep dealer? And I know it's the CPS because when I fiddle with the CPS wiring the check engine goes away. Already tried cleaning the plug. Should I try taking the actual sensor off and clean it with electrical cleaner? Either clean it or buy one from the dealer. Sorry I'm all over the place, been a long day and I have to get to work soon.
I think mine was around $120 (from the dealer, last year). Though if the problem goes away when you play with the wiring the problem may be with the wiring to the sensor, not the sensor itself (if it is just a chaffed wire, you may be able to just splice a new wire in for the damaged section rather than replacing the whole sensor).
Old 05-07-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89
I think mine was around $120 (from the dealer, last year). Though if the problem goes away when you play with the wiring the problem may be with the wiring to the sensor, not the sensor itself (if it is just a chaffed wire, you may be able to just splice a new wire in for the damaged section rather than replacing the whole sensor).
Yea, that's why I kinda wanted to take it off and clean it and inspect it. I'm a computer tech so I have DMM's and the like, and I'm used to wiring things. I'll probably take it off and inspect it first.

EDIT: The plug looks in perfect condition where it hooks up, so the bad wiring should be somewhere between the plug and the sensor if there is damage.

Last edited by SlickXJ; 05-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Amazon OEM Mopar Crank Sensor for 96 Cherokee $68 Amazon OEM Mopar Crank Sensor for 96 Cherokee $68

Note: I have used cheap ones before, recently had an issue after a front pump seal getting any Crank Sensor to work, ended up pulling the trans for something else and scuffed the Ring the sensor picked up signal from and spraying it down with silicone to keep from rusting, been running 3 months flawlessly.

I think Mopar OEM does better than Cheap replacements with the pickup on less than stellar flywheels.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $96 at the dealer (NJ) 6 months ago
Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bryweb
Amazon OEM Mopar Crank Sensor for 96 Cherokee $68

Note: I have used cheap ones before, recently had an issue after a front pump seal getting any Crank Sensor to work, ended up pulling the trans for something else and scuffed the Ring the sensor picked up signal from and spraying it down with silicone to keep from rusting, been running 3 months flawlessly.

I think Mopar OEM does better than Cheap replacements with the pickup on less than stellar flywheels.
That sensor you linked is for a grand cherokee. Saw it when i was looking but after looking in the question section i found out its not advertised right.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Squid
I paid $96 at the dealer (NJ) 6 months ago
Not bad. Thought they'd want way more, especially in NJ.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

That sensor you linked is for a grand cherokee. Saw it when i was looking but after looking in the question section i found out its not advertised right.
Sorry about that, how about these;

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/...osition-sensor
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

A few months back I had to replace my CPS. Dealerships stated they were on backorder with over 300 pending orders with no plans of resupply. Make sure your local dealership looks up the part # for your Jeep's CPS based on your VIN as there are two different CPS's used in 1996 based on build date. Aftermarket sensors do not seem to work in the Jeep. I did find a OEM Mopar CPS for the same price at the dealerships at http://www.tonkinpartscenter.com/

Comparison OEM vs Aftermarket CPS

hope this helps...

Last edited by BruceB; 05-08-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Yea, appreciate the info. Dealer said they don't have one in stock, but they're ordering one for me from Virginia (I'm in NC) Order will go in on Monday and I can pick the sensor up on Tuesday. I went to Carquest and got a sensor from them (BWD, I know I know ) to get familiar with the process, and everything works fine, but I'm still getting that mopar one. This one should hold me over for the next few days. Just ended my 4th semester in college, so the only driving I do now is to work, which is very close. Around a 10 minute drive. Still have a code, its a P1391. That upper bolt on the sensor was a B**** to get out. I had to dig through my 100s of sockets and such to find a correct combination of sockets and swivel extensions that got it out. Good news is I know how to do it now, so once the new one comes in I can have it done in under 30 minutes (knock on wood). They had my account info since I've been there before so I think they ordered one based on my VIN, or at least I hope. If not, I'll get them to order the other one. If not, I'll order one from the link bryweb graciously provided me.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, it comes out to $98 after tax for the MOPAR one from the dealer.

Last edited by SlickXJ; 05-08-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Just a future fyi for anybody...I had to purchase a 24" extension to rebuild my forks on my motorcycle. Using this extension without any swivel connector you can easily remove and reinstall the bolts holding the CPS. On reinstall I just put a little grease in the socket to hold the bolt. Here is the link to what I purchased...
TEKTON 1610 3/8-Inch Drive Extra Long Extension Bar Set, 3-Piece - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com TEKTON 1610 3/8-Inch Drive Extra Long Extension Bar Set, 3-Piece - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com
And it is under $20..
Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Still have a code, its a P1391.
Did you clear the code (either with a reader or by disconnecting the battery for 10 of 15 min)?

If not the code will hang in there for a while. If you did clear it and it returned, it could either just be the BWD sensor being out of spec or it could be your cam sensor (distributor pick-up) or the wiring.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dmill89
Did you clear the code (either with a reader or by disconnecting the battery for 10 of 15 min)?

If not the code will hang in there for a while. If you did clear it and it returned, it could either just be the BWD sensor being out of spec or it could be your cam sensor (distributor pick-up) or the wiring.
Yea it was cleared, came back pretty quick.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by BruceB
Just a future fyi for anybody...I had to purchase a 24" extension to rebuild my forks on my motorcycle. Using this extension without any swivel connector you can easily remove and reinstall the bolts holding the CPS. On reinstall I just put a little grease in the socket to hold the bolt. Here is the link to what I purchased... TEKTON 1610 3/8-Inch Drive Extra Long Extension Bar Set, 3-Piece - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com And it is under $20..
There was no room for an extension that big without a swivel. Unless there was like a very small area it worked that I'm not thinking of, in which case I wish I had those lol
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 AM

There was no room for an extension that big without a swivel. Unless there was like a very small area it worked that I'm not thinking of, in which case I wish I had those lol
I changed out the CPS on my Jeep with the 24" extension without a swivel. I fed it through starting from about half way back and above on the left side of the transmission. There is clearance to do this on my Jeep, which is a 2wd, IDK if you have the clearance on a 4wd or not.

Quick Reply: MOPAR CPS sensor, how much from a dealer?