Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Misc stock part source?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Misc stock part source?

Hey all, I'm making a list of things I need for my '94 and was wondering what source you guys use. Items such as window cranks, outer door window seal, door handle, stuff like that.
I found Morris 4x4 Center http://www.jeep4x4center.com , they seem to have a good selection. Has anyone used them? Don't know how their prices compare to others. Is there a forum sponsor that deals with these items?
BTW, I'm going to avoid part-outs and junk yards. especially with things like the window seals. I think it would just be easier to order new than to waste days driving all over to save a couple bucks.

Last edited by jay_sco; 07-23-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I've used here quite a bit.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...p?make=JEEP&ck[year_1995]=true&ck[mkt_US]=true&ck[mkt_EU]=true&ck[mkt_CA]=true&ck[mkt_MX]=true&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=r0n98tto13v8bh3s2bbc0qeat3
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no one source, you'll have to shop.

I've gotten JKS and Bilstien parts from Morris.....steering shaft.....etc.....

Brake cables and other hard to source parts from rockauto.

WP front bumper from Autoanything........$70 cheaper than anywhere else.

Engine parts from Summit.

......etc........

Some parts are JY only.......and you'll find that out soon enough.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Morris 4x4 is an excellent vendor and one not afraid to profess his Faith even in these times. One of a very, very few that do to all. I have bought from them many times over the last 5 years.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Ok then, I'll compile a list of everything I need and see what Morris can do for me. I'll check RA for anything I can't find at Morris.
Thanks for the YJ tip, I did see some window cranks that said YJ, I haven't bought anything yet but I figured they'd fit. I'll find some that specify XJ.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I shop around for my parts and have bought from Advance Auto, O'Reilly, NAPA, RockAuto.com, JC Whitney, Auto Anything, Auto Parts Warehouse, Chrysler dealerships and even Amazon, which sometimes will surprise you with exactly the part you need at the best price and with free Prime shipping. I have bought a few parts off eBay. I've also bought directly from the manufacturer for my custom parts. There's no way I would just pick one supplier and order everything from there, because that's a sure way to end up wasting money on at least part of what you're buying.

Unfortunately I've never found the best prices at some of the more popular suppliers people use on here. I have looked for parts on Jegs, Summit, Morris and some others and always end up finding it for less somewhere else or with a better shipping deal. Your mileage may vary. But I budgeted my build on spreadsheets, and I have already cut hundreds of dollars off my original estimate by shopping around for deals.

One tool you can use to find the best prices is Frugal Mechanic. It works best if you enter the manufacturer and exact part number instead of searching by your model. FM searches parts sites for the best price + shipping option as well as discount codes that can save you a significant amount of money.

Be warned that the first three cheapest results are often Auto Parts Warehouse, US Auto Parts and Parts Train, which are all the same company. I have bought from them in the past and had no problem other than slow shipping, but people have had issues with them canceling orders when they realize they quoted too low and won't make any money at the price at which you ordered. Sometimes they can be worth a risk if you're not in a hurry. Also, those three will often show you a price on your first visit to their site that will be higher when you go back later to actually buy it, which is kind of irritating. It's screwy, dishonest stuff, so order from them with caution.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

Following - looking for a source for the exterior window seals for my 92.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bryanintowson
Following - looking for a source for the exterior window seals for my 92.
You mean this?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Placed an order from Morris today (large order, more on that later), window strips, or belt strips, or whatever they're called were part of it.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-do...therstrips.htm
Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

If you have Prime, Amazon can present some truly surprising values when everything ships for free. Same goes for ebay, just make sure you can weed out inferior quality stuff. Check seller ratings.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

extrashaky thanks for the tip. I will check rockauto. I need to get the rubber sweeps at the bottom of the window.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Crash_Course
If you have Prime, Amazon can present some truly surprising values when everything ships for free. Same goes for ebay, just make sure you can weed out inferior quality stuff. Check seller ratings.

A rip-off to make you buy more and often from them. Support the XJ and Jeep venders while we still have them. As for small parts buy from your local parts store, support them.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
A rip-off to make you buy more and often from them. Support the XJ and Jeep venders while we still have them. As for small parts buy from your local parts store, support them.
Normally I would agree, and I am all in favor of supporting local business. But when your local stores are all worthless with the exception of our local Napa, I don't feel beholden to shop with them just because they are there, and I don't see why I should reward incompetence with my continued business. The big three (autozone, oreilly, and advance) have a constantly rotating staff of unprofessional, untrained people working for them, usually turning over about every six to eight months. I come from retail and have a strong background in customer service, so maybe it just irks me more than others, but I digress...

The gentleman who once managed our Oreilly's that made it worth going there has since moved to Napa. He was with Oreillys for well over 10 years, knew all his regulars by name, and in return the stress was killing him. His blood pressure now compared to then is like night and day. I will be shopping at Napa moving forward simply because of the excellent service he provides.

As far as Amazon is concerned, I'm one of the few people I know that can justify their Prime membership because of the sheer volume of business I do with them. Automotive parts probably represents 10% of that figure.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned

A rip-off to make you buy more and often from them.
Not a ripoff at all. I use my Prime membership for ebooks and television as well as the two day shipping. I would get my money's worth even if I never ordered anything that had to be delivered. Or vice versa, since I easily save more on shipping from Amazon than the cost of Prime.

And it doesn't "make" me buy more from them. Since I'm not some kind of religious zealot, I actually have free will and am perfectly capable of shopping around for the best price including shipping.

Support the XJ and Jeep venders while we still have them. As for small parts buy from your local parts store, support them.
Product, service and price. I will buy from the company that provides the best combination of these three things, regardless of whether it's a Jeep vendor, a local parts store or a huge multinational corporation. If the locals and the Jeep vendors want my business, they need to innovate and compete on service and price.

I bought Brown Dog motor mounts because they innovated and provided something nobody else really could, even though their prices are high. I bought from JCR for similar reasons. I buy from Amazon or Rock Auto when they have the best price on something fairly generic and can get it to me in two or three days. I buy from local parts stores when I need it now or the price difference (if any--some are as cheap as on line) doesn't justify the wait.

Paying more to a Jeep vendor out of some kind of zealotry just because he's a Jeep vendor is silly. Nobody owes a Jeep vendor any business just because they serve some imaginary religious affiliation around a particular brand of automobile.