Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

looking for a jeep

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default looking for a jeep

Ok guys, new guy here. Looking to pick up a cherokee to use for daily driving and the other than the fact that the 4.0 I6 runs forever i know nothing about jeeps.
To start i want a 4x4 because Jersey winters can be bad. That being said what years and what transfer cases am i looking at that i can use on wet/icey/snowy pavement (dont know if its just a matter of putting it in 4hi when needed or is there some awd type system).
With buying a used jeep what are the more common failure points or parts that are recommended to be replaced? I plan to when i get it go and change out all fluids.
Trans wise i'm looking for an auto. Is there any one i should stay away from?
Any other tips or suggestions are welcome while i try to find my first jeep.

Mike
Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

Originally Posted by Mike12086
Ok guys, new guy here. Looking to pick up a cherokee to use for daily driving and the other than the fact that the 4.0 I6 runs forever i know nothing about jeeps.
To start i want a 4x4 because Jersey winters can be bad. That being said what years and what transfer cases am i looking at that i can use on wet/icey/snowy pavement (dont know if its just a matter of putting it in 4hi when needed or is there some awd type system).
With buying a used jeep what are the more common failure points or parts that are recommended to be replaced? I plan to when i get it go and change out all fluids.
Trans wise i'm looking for an auto. Is there any one i should stay away from?
Any other tips or suggestions are welcome while i try to find my first jeep.

Mike
alright man i'm in jersey too so i think i might be able to help you out. to answer your first question about an AWD cherokee they do have this one transfer case (sorry can't remember what they called it right now) that has two different 4highs as an option along with 4low. it said in the owners manual that one was for on road use. i used it the all the time in snow no matter what and never experienced and stiff jumpy steering and even sometimes in heavy rain. it really had some good traction taking off at stop lights. this jeep i had was an 89 laredo which also had electric leather seats, electric everything, and even a sun roof. i have been told that they transfer case i am talking about doesn't hold up as well offroad as the standard 2h 4h n 4l transfer cases (like the one i have now) but when i had that jeep it never gave me a problem. i know this was an option all the up to 98' because my dad has this xj with this option he will only buy cherokees with it because of the "AWD". and he has had a few. other than that if you live in new jersey you can expect rust. my 96 was like swiss cheese before i went to town on it. so expect to fix rust to inhibit it from spreading. i have a 5pd 4 door but i know an auto trans they used was built very well....i know there is somebody else out there that can answer your question about parts that are prone to failure
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
alright man i'm in jersey too so i think i might be able to help you out. to answer your first question about an AWD cherokee they do have this one transfer case (sorry can't remember what they called it right now) that has two different 4highs as an option along with 4low. it said in the owners manual that one was for on road use. i used it the all the time in snow no matter what and never experienced and stiff jumpy steering and even sometimes in heavy rain. it really had some good traction taking off at stop lights. this jeep i had was an 89 laredo which also had electric leather seats, electric everything, and even a sun roof. i have been told that they transfer case i am talking about doesn't hold up as well offroad as the standard 2h 4h n 4l transfer cases (like the one i have now) but when i had that jeep it never gave me a problem. i know this was an option all the up to 98' because my dad has this xj with this option he will only buy cherokees with it because of the "AWD". and he has had a few. other than that if you live in new jersey you can expect rust. my 96 was like swiss cheese before i went to town on it. so expect to fix rust to inhibit it from spreading. i have a 5pd 4 door but i know an auto trans they used was built very well....i know there is somebody else out there that can answer your question about parts that are prone to failure
NP242 transfer
Old 11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

The transfercase you had is a 242,the other is the 231,the 242 had 4hi part time,used off road not pavement,4hi full time,used all the time weather on dirt or pavement,anf 4lo.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM

to tell if it has the 242 just look at the 4x4 lever and it will have two 4hi spots?
also is there anyway to tell just by year and model if it will have it?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

to tell if it has the 242 just look at the 4x4 lever and it will have two 4hi spots?
also is there anyway to tell just by year and model if it will have it?
exactly. it'll say 4hi part time and 4hi full time..i'm pretty sure the full time option is the one you use on the road. i think they had this in a bunch of models i know at least from 89 to 98. my dads which is a 98' doesn't have any other fancy options like my 89 had.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 PM

how are the 4.0s with emissions? since i live in jersey and they do emission testing am i ok going with a pre 95 and put it on the sniffer or should i look post 95 for the obd scan instead?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

how are the 4.0s with emissions? since i live in jersey and they do emission testing am i ok going with a pre 95 and put it on the sniffer or should i look post 95 for the obd scan instead?
i'm not really sure dude i've just had my 96' inspected and here in ocean county they put this thing on the end of your tail pipe that i guess reads the gasses...i wouldn't really worry about it and if it does fail its just more or an excuse to put a bangin new exhaust on there.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM

true...where in ocean county are you?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 318

exactly. it'll say 4hi part time and 4hi full time..i'm pretty sure the full time option is the one you use on the road. i think they had this in a bunch of models i know at least from 89 to 98. my dads which is a 98' doesn't have any other fancy options like my 89 had.
I live in CT for a wile and I been around a few jeeps. OK if it has 4hi 4pt 2hi n 4 low then tis is how you cound us then
2hi dry road use or wet this saves gas
4pt it move trackion from front to rear tires so this is good for wet and slush
4hi if it get slicker pack snow ice
4low off road or at a craw on ice

If it does not have 2hi then start at 4pt
Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Year: 98' and 99'

My personal opinion- 96-99 is the best year,,