Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lock switch still broken after "repair"

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lock switch still broken after "repair"

I just bought a 99 Cherokee Classic, but it had a couple problems. First, the windows could only be controlled from the driver side, regardless of whether the window lock switch was on or off. Second, the left side door lock switch works only occasionally (the right side one works all the time).
Because the issues seemed to be related to the switches, I took apart the left side door, redid all of the solder connections, and put it back together.
This fixed the issue of passengers not being able to control their windows, but the door lock switch still gives me trouble.
While I can easily reach over to the right side door and hit that door lock switch, it would be nice to be able to reliably control it from the left side.
Hopefully someone can suggest something that I should repair or replace to get the lock switch working again.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bread_bird
I just bought a 99 Cherokee Classic, but it had a couple problems. First, the windows could only be controlled from the driver side, regardless of whether the window lock switch was on or off. Second, the left side door lock switch works only occasionally (the right side one works all the time).
Because the issues seemed to be related to the switches, I took apart the left side door, redid all of the solder connections, and put it back together.
This fixed the issue of passengers not being able to control their windows, but the door lock switch still gives me trouble.
While I can easily reach over to the right side door and hit that door lock switch, it would be nice to be able to reliably control it from the left side.
Hopefully someone can suggest something that I should repair or replace to get the lock switch working again.
i just fixed a pass window with 2 new wires in left door thru to connector in kick area. get a wiring diagram,haynes works. you may have broken wires in the rubber boot. not much fun to find/fix.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

When you had the switch unit open you might have noticed that the rocker switches themselves have little feet that sit down on contacts when you operate them. Those contacts get corroded. You can try to clean them, and you might have some success.

When I did mine, however, they worked great for about three weeks and then stopped working again. I ended up just buying a new switch unit altogether to start from scratch.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I thought I read somewhere that the lock circuit is based in the passenger side. Would it be wise to take that side apart and see if there is anything wrong with those switches?
Edit: Here is the post I'm referencing -
Originally Posted by jdumont
It makes sense. The passenger door module is the brain for the locks. The drivers is just the switch. I suppose the used module I got could also be bad and I replaced a bad part with a bad part....

ugh.
Otherwise, it seems like the best course of action would just be replacing the whole drivers side switch unit.
Perhaps you could let me know which I should try first.

Last edited by bread_bird; 06-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies.
I thought I read somewhere that the lock circuit is based in the passenger side. Would it be wise to take that side apart and see if there is anything wrong with those switches?
Edit: Here is the post I'm referencing -

Otherwise, it seems like the best course of action would just be replacing the whole drivers side switch unit.
Perhaps you could let me know which I should try first.
you should be looking at the wiring info from haynes. its good enuf. then you know whats there. theres no "brain" , just switches and wires. messy but not impossible.
edit, oops. the left is just a switch so you can jump a ground to the or/wt, pk/wh to test the wires. i just did an extension of the pk/wt for a hidden unlock switch. this morning. the pass side is ok huh?
it may have more to it than i thought. i have not had it open in a while. i think there is a relay and circuit there
those 2 wires need to be tested on the driver door.
my driver wont lock with key on,door open! thats the only time.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 06-03-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 PM

I redid all of the soldering on the passenger side switches, just because I only had 30ish minutes free and wanted to at least try something.
After I put it all back together, I went over to the driver's side and put it through around 20 lock/unlock cycles. It worked every time, so hopefully I actually fixed it and the switch isn't just functioning intermittently again.
I'm hesitant to recommend that others try this just yet, but if I don't have any problems in the next couple of days then I will update the thread.
Hopefully that was the last time I have to pull off switch caps!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

I redid all of the soldering on the passenger side switches, just because I only had 30ish minutes free and wanted to at least try something.
After I put it all back together, I went over to the driver's side and put it through around 20 lock/unlock cycles. It worked every time, so hopefully I actually fixed it and the switch isn't just functioning intermittently again.
I'm hesitant to recommend that others try this just yet, but if I don't have any problems in the next couple of days then I will update the thread.
!! oh yeah, sounds like you got it.i used pliers to grip them,rocked and pulled, and hoped it would not break.

i had intermittent wire/s for the pass window. i pulled in 2 new wires ,seems ok now. they ? break in the boot. i guess.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
!! oh yeah, sounds like you got it.i used pliers to grip them,rocked and pulled, and hoped it would not break.

i had intermittent wire/s for the pass window. i pulled in 2 new wires ,seems ok now. they ? break in the boot. i guess.
If I ever end up having to mess with switch caps again, I will probably just use some vice grips. Prying at them usually just sends them flying.
Hopefully my issue isn't a break in the wire. I'm really not sure if I'm committed enough to replace an entire length of wire.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 PM

After a few days of the door locks working perfectly, I would recommend that anyone with lock or unlock issues should fix the connections on their passenger side switches, and probably do some preventative maintenance on the driver's side switches as well.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

After a few days of the door locks working perfectly, I would recommend that anyone with lock or unlock issues should fix the connections on their passenger side switches, and probably do some preventative maintenance on the driver's side switches as well.
great fix, good advice.