Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lock Cylinder(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lock Cylinder(s)

DISCLAIMER: I have used the forum search function and Google. ...and read/scrolled thru ALL 40 pages of the OEM Cherokee Tech! (Found lots of other helpful info and bookmarked for later)

I recently purchased a 1990 XJ Laredo. I only received one key, the square headed ignition key. (GM). I did not receive a round headed key for the doors and hatch. My key works in the ignition and will fit in the drivers door lock cylinder, but not turn. It will not fit the passenger door or rear hatch.

I despise the GM 2 key setup and would like to upgrade to a single key for all locks. I did find one thread where someone claimed the ignition cylinder could be upgraded to the newer Chrysler/Jeep style, but did not include part numbers or model year of what it was swapped from. I also found a couple threads where someone did switch out the cylinders in the doors to the newer style, but I was not enamored with the lock face being smaller and leaving a gap. I know The doors are switchable to the '97+ style, but that's not an option I want to resort to.

Sorry for the long winded lead in, but here are my questions:

1) Part number or model/year for the Chrysler/Jeep ignition cylinder that will fit a '90 XJ?
2) Has anyone successfully attempted to just replace the "guts" or inner lock cylinder for the doors (#4 in the diagram) while keeping the original outer housing (#7) ?
The diagram is not of the actual lock, but an example to clearly show what I am talking about.
3) If yes to my 2nd question, what part number or model/year did you use?

I am quit familiar with re-keying locks so would have no problem reworking the tumblers if I can find lock cylinders that will work. Worst case scenario, I should at least be able to key them all to the square head GM ignition key vs the Chrysler/Jeep key if I can find the right inner cylinder. I believe this option to be possible because my drivers side lock has most likely had this done at some point - since my ignition key will fit in the lock. IIRC the round head and square head keys have different grooves preventing them from fitting into the wrong lock.
Attached Thumbnails Lock Cylinder(s)-image.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Talk to a locksmith and see if he can rekey your door/tailgate lock to the ignition key.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Yes, a locksmith can re-key for all to work as one.
Usta be everyone used two keys. Really messed with my oldest kids head on her first car a 93 S-10 got the phone call first time she locked the doors " why can't I unlock the doors the key fits?"
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Talk to a locksmith and see if he can rekey your door/tailgate lock to the ignition key.
Trying to avoid paying locksmiths fees. Especially since it would be a fairly simple replacement if I knew the part number! Looking for info from someone that has already done this. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Trying to avoid paying locksmiths fees. Especially since it would be a fairly simple replacement if I knew the part number! Looking for info from someone that has already done this. Thanks.
Pending on the smith, if you pull the tumblers out of the doors and hatch it shouldn't be more than 25$, least that's about what I paid last year for a re-key.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by highmileage
Yes, a locksmith can re-key for all to work as one.
Usta be everyone used two keys. Really messed with my oldest kids head on her first car a 93 S-10 got the phone call first time she locked the doors " why can't I unlock the doors the key fits?"
I remember those days (not so fondly). Trying to avoid that issue with my daughter and have less keys for her to lose - I bought the Jeep for her.

I'm able to do the re-keying, have re-keyed numerous locks whether with pins or tumblers.

I was thinking the round head and square head keys usually had different grooves so they wouldn't fit in each other's lock cylinders? Especially since my key won't fit in two out of three of the locks.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

My suggestion is to see if the lock cylinders from the early 80's AMC/Jeep could be retrofit to the 90's jeep.

The Eagles and IH Scout I have had has the key set up you want where all are the same key. The round key was for the glove box but not the doors.

My bet is the hole in the door is the same, so getting a door lock set for an AMC/IH/GM from the early 80's might be just what you need
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I grew up using 2 keys for car locks/ignition, so having two doesn't wig me out.

Only my '87 Pioneer has two now.

Well, besides my 3 classic Mustangs. The round key is only used for the trunk. The square key fits the door and ignition cylinder. I think that was for valet parking purposes. If you kept the round key, he couldn't get into the trunk.

Last edited by Firestorm500; 02-28-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Originally Posted by highmileage
Yes, a locksmith can re-key for all to work as one...
FYI...a locksmith can't rekey the door locks to the same as the ignition if they are factory original locks. The round headed keys and the square headed keys have different grooves/slots running the length of the key. Consequently the keys will not fit in the wrong lock. The inner cylinders are different. (It would be like keying a Kwikset lock and a Schlage lock the same - you can set up the pins/tumblers the same, but the keys will not fit in the keyway.)

I ended up just replacing the door cylinders. I decided I was being too OCD about having one key. It's my daughters Jeep anyway

Omix-Ada 11813.02 if anyone needs the part number. Best price I found was Amazon $27.23 - interestingly enough Amazon states these are not compatible, but everywhere else online said they are. I've already installed them, and they are just about identical to the originals. The picture shows a round head key, but they came with two square head keys. Pretty quick and painless install.

Just for the heck of it I tried them in the ignition and they also work there! Just happened to be cut close enough that they will work.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Just for the heck of it I tried them in the ignition and they also work there! Just happened to be cut close enough that they will work.
Have you tried a Fuller key?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Have you tried a Fuller key?
No, but I've arrested a few who have....
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Update:
"Fuller key", any key or no key!

Daughter wants to turn Jeep on to roll down the window she was scraping the old tint off of; says to me "did you know this starts without a key?" I'm guessing the inner tumblers are very worn or a P.O. removed them from the cylinder at some point...