Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

linkage issue/transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o i-6
Default linkage issue/transmission

i have a 2000 jeep cherokee xj, inline 6 4.0 231 trans case
was backing out and then pulled fwd. shifted in 4 wheel high then dropped it into reverse. i then put it in drive. my jeep will not move now, it seems like no 4 wheel drive nor 2 wheel drive, the 4x4 shifter slides real easy but wont engage in 2 or 4 wheel. and when i shift into drive reverse from the shifter (automatic trans) nothing is engaging for movement. if the linkage went out of alignment or was disconnected could it keep the jeep from engaging to just drive in general? please help!!!!! i had just ordered an upgrade linkage kit boost works out of colorado ( not installed yet)
any help is appreciated please inbox me for any direction
chris in michigan
Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l 310,000 miles

you say the jeep won't move .... does the engine rev up like it is in neutral or park? have you actually crawled under your XJ and looked at the two seperate linkages? tell us what condition the transfercase shifter mechanism looks like(better yet pictures) what about the transmission cable shifter, how does it look?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.o i-6
Default trans-linkage

Originally Posted by neverenuff
you say the jeep won't move .... does the engine rev up like it is in neutral or park? have you actually crawled under your XJ and looked at the two seperate linkages? tell us what condition the transfercase shifter mechanism looks like(better yet pictures) what about the transmission cable shifter, how does it look?
Yes it revs as if its in neutral or park. Havent had time to crawl under it yet. Its about 10 degrees out and have no garage
Old 01-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Question Same problem?

I have the same problem, like the xfer case is in neutral and looks like the linkage from the shifter has come off the shaft. I put the shifter in N and got it back on, but what keeps it from coming off again?

David
Old 06-17-2021, 03:42 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Hello where you able to solve the problem

Originally Posted by chris-topher
i have a 2000 jeep cherokee xj, inline 6 4.0 231 trans case
was backing out and then pulled fwd. shifted in 4 wheel high then dropped it into reverse. i then put it in drive. my jeep will not move now, it seems like no 4 wheel drive nor 2 wheel drive, the 4x4 shifter slides real easy but wont engage in 2 or 4 wheel. and when i shift into drive reverse from the shifter (automatic trans) nothing is engaging for movement. if the linkage went out of alignment or was disconnected could it keep the jeep from engaging to just drive in general? please help!!!!! i had just ordered an upgrade linkage kit boost works out of colorado ( not installed yet)
any help is appreciated please inbox me for any direction
chris in michigan
Hello where you able to solve the problem

Old 06-17-2021, 08:56 PM

Received 243 Likes on 200 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L

Set the parking brake, chick the wheels, engine off, and crawl under there. There's a rectangular piece of metal attached to the transfer case. Rotate it towards the front of the vehicle. The stock linkage is notorious trash. Check out Azzy's Design Works. It's a great solution for a poorly designed linkage.