Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 L Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 L Problem

Hello, I am new to the Jeep threads, and let me say how much I love Jeeps. I have a 1994 4.0 L Jeep Cherokee Sport as my name and the title of this thread implies.

The Symptoms:

When accelerating the vehicle does fine. However, when I am stopped at a red light or stop sign, or if I have to decelerate to a slower speed. The Jeep has a sound where it will rumble and pop like in the Youtube video that I am going to post. In that video, it mentions the EGR Valve. However, I read on one forum that 4.0 L Jeeps made after 1994 do not have EGR Valves. Though oddly enough they do sell gaskets for EGR Valves for my 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L at the Big Box Automotive Stores.

Here is the video

If you pay extra close attention to roughly the 0:37 to 0:49 mark of the video. That is exactly the sound that it makes before it cuts off and dies. It will not restart for awhile like it has overheated but it does not show that it is overheating on the temperature gauge, but if you let it set for a couple of hours. Then it cranks up and drives again. It runs like a top, then all of a sudden at a stop sign, red light, or when it decelerates it will make that sound and die.

Like I said earlier, I read that 1991 and newer 4.0 L Jeep Cherokees do not have an EGR Valve. So if it isn't an EGR Valve causing that sound (assuming this 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 L doesn't have an EGR Valve) then I wonder what could be causing the problem?

Things that I have fixed on the Jeep already

- Engine Control Computer
- Distributor Cap
- Rotor Button
- Ignition Coil

This is a problem that has been bugging me for over 2 weeks now and I just want so badly for the issue to be resolved. Any assistance that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default It was the Fuel Pump

I sold the 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport from this thread to a friend of mine. Since I sold it to him. I have been seeing him driving it, and he said that it hasn' t given him any issues.

Turns out he got a new Fuel Pump for it. I had replaced it on December 21st, 2014 according to my receipt from Auto Zone. I had ruled it out because I really didn' t think it would go bad so quickly.

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone who is having problems like the ones in the video that I posted above. I worked on that Jeep for a month solid and about wound up in an insane asylum.