Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LIGHTS OUT!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1997 4.0 I6
Default LIGHTS OUT!!!!!

Need the answer fairly quick fellas. I just lost all my dash lights, i have nothing to tell me what fuse/fuse location it is, any quick referance will be appreciated..... Oh yea, 1994 xj sport, if it matters.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 242 I6

Originally Posted by garb.man
Need the answer fairly quick fellas. I just lost all my dash lights, i have nothing to tell me what fuse/fuse location it is, any quick referance will be appreciated..... Oh yea, 1994 xj sport, if it matters.
Check the fuse!

Did some looking around in the forum and this is what I came up with. Hope this helps!

1) Click -> here.

2) Click -> here.

V/r,
-Gray.

Last edited by awsgrayrd; 01-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 AM

Hey thanks!!!! well i checked my fuses, found #18 was popped, replace it,(only bad fuse under the dash) dash lights still inop. I didnt check the fuse box under the hood, but i figured that was more related to engine control, abs brakes etc. everything else works thou, tail lights, headlights, turn signals, backup, wipers, washers. I dont have a radio, so no way of telling and my dome is burnt out. I remember taking a turn, one of the wires from the radio harness (radio was recently stolen) i heard a spark noise ( the ends of the wire are still bare ), and thats when i lost the lights.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

Same thing happened to me awhile ago. I was removing my headliner and taking out the rear dome light and somehow I shorted it. I don't remember what exact fuse it was, but I know it is located in the fuse box right by your feet. (right under the steering wheel) if I remember correctly it was a 10 amp fuse... Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 242 I6

Originally Posted by garb.man
Hey thanks!!!! well i checked my fuses, found #18 was popped, replace it,(only bad fuse under the dash) dash lights still inop. I didnt check the fuse box under the hood, but i figured that was more related to engine control, abs brakes etc. everything else works thou, tail lights, headlights, turn signals, backup, wipers, washers. I dont have a radio, so no way of telling and my dome is burnt out. I remember taking a turn, one of the wires from the radio harness (radio was recently stolen) i heard a spark noise ( the ends of the wire are still bare ), and thats when i lost the lights.
Yeah, you definitely shorted something out then.

The #2 fuse(15a) is actually for the radio, dome light, cigarette lighter. If I were you I would just remove the fuse to prevent further damage/issues until you figure the problem out, unless you're a smoker and need the lighter. In that case find the wire from the radio harness and snip the bare copper on it and electrical tape it.

What you can try doing is disconnecting the Neg. (-) side of the batter for like 5-15 mins to reset the CPU and see it that might help. Not sure if that will work though.

If you do not have a fuse box diagram to relate to, I attached one for you.

V/r,
-Gray.
Attached Thumbnails LIGHTS OUT!!!!!-pre.elec.int.jpg   LIGHTS OUT!!!!!-pre.elec.int.2.jpg   LIGHTS OUT!!!!!-pre.elec.ext.1.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by awsgrayrd
Yeah, you definitely shorted something out then.

The #2 fuse(15a) is actually for the radio, dome light, cigarette lighter. If I were you I would just remove the fuse to prevent further damage/issues until you figure the problem out, unless you're a smoker and need the lighter. In that case find the wire from the radio harness and snip the bare copper on it and electrical tape it.

What you can try doing is disconnecting the Neg. (-) side of the batter for like 5-15 mins to reset the CPU and see it that might help. Not sure if that will work though.

If you do not have a fuse box diagram to relate to, I attached one for you.

V/r,
-Gray.
Thanks guys... Ill have to mess with it tonight, i didn't think it could be anything more than a fuse either... At least i hope!!!!! if that doesn't do it, then i guess ill be back with more questions!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Year: 2001

You find anything I have the same problem with my 01. I bought it that way all fuses are good changed bulbs no fix. not only are the cluster lights out the gear indicator light and air control lights?????