Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dash lights just went out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat
Default dash lights just went out

hey everybody, i went to start my jeep up an hour ago to notice the lights for the instrument cluster don't turn on when i turn my headlights on.

do you think its a fuse or the bulb?

i'd just like to get a little bit of direction before i go under there and start pulling fuses.. oh and i'm terrible with electric stuff and chasing down shorts.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Are your tail lights out?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

i don't think they are out at least i didn't notice them being out when i drove home....but if it is something that is often connected i can run outside and check real quick, thanks man
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM

if your tail lights are out its a fuse
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

I don't know what style headlight switch you have, but if you have one like mine, have you tried twisting the switch left and right(the dimmer function)? The reostats get corroded fast and sometimes you gotta do a little "maintenance" to clean them up. Mines old and I gotta do this about every couple months.

Its most likely something simple so don't fret to much
Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

alright i just ran out and checked (its getting chilly up here) and the tail lights come on which i was kind of hoping they wouldn't cuz then i would have it fixed already....so now its more then likely the little bulb in there behind the cluster?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
I don't know what style headlight switch you have, but if you have one like mine, have you tried twisting the switch left and right(the dimmer function)? The reostats get corroded fast and sometimes you gotta do a little "maintenance" to clean them up. Mines old and I gotta do this about every couple months.

Its most likely something simple so don't fret to much
i know what you mean...i fiddled with the dimmers but that didn't do anything, i never really mess with twisting them so i doubt thats it but you never know. by "maintenance" you mean i might want to try popping the thing off and having a look in there?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM

then its prob. the headlight switch. are all of the lights out? if so i doubt they would all burn out at the same time
Old 11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
i know what you mean...i fiddled with the dimmers but that didn't do anything, i never really mess with twisting them so i doubt thats it but you never know. by "maintenance" you mean i might want to try popping the thing off and having a look in there?
No, by maintenance, i meant twisting it every now and again to clean corrosion off. I don't touch mine either, but every once and a while my insturment lights stop working. You don't need to pull it.

I'm going off my Chiltons, which aren't FSM's, but have you checked the 5amp fuse labeled "INST LPS"? The schematic in from of me shows power going to the 15amp "PARK/TAIL" fuse(the one you checked), then to the headlight switch for the head/tail lights. However theres a wire that is connected to the headlight switch that goes back to the fuse panel to the 5amp fuse(ISNT LPS) that powers the instrument lights.

Do you have lights working in other places on the dash? or is just the instrument lights out?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Member

If the 5 amp is good, leave it out and check the terminals for voltage. if there no power at all on either terminal, like sflxj said, its probably a bad headlight switch. There not to hard to swap, just follow the manual, or get pissed off and break your dash like my PO did.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

No, by maintenance, i meant twisting it every now and again to clean corrosion off. I don't touch mine either, but every once and a while my insturment lights stop working. You don't need to pull it.

I'm going off my Chiltons, which aren't FSM's, but have you checked the 5amp fuse labeled "INST LPS"? The schematic in from of me shows power going to the 15amp "PARK/TAIL" fuse(the one you checked), then to the headlight switch for the head/tail lights. However theres a wire that is connected to the headlight switch that goes back to the fuse panel to the 5amp fuse(ISNT LPS) that powers the instrument lights.

Do you have lights working in other places on the dash? or is just the instrument lights out?
i did try turning it back and forth a bunch of times... i have other lights that work like my stereo works. my low fuel light works... and the little light on the left that tells me to shift also works. its just the instrument cluster lights that are out.. i appreciate your info on this, i have a chiltons to that i can refer to if need be. you think it could possibly be the wire that goes from the headlight switch to the fuse panel? i can always give that a look tomorrow. for something just to work just fine and then go out completely i'm leaning towards the bulb back there as more of a possibility though, which stinks because thats probably not fun to change.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sflxj
then its prob. the headlight switch. are all of the lights out? if so i doubt they would all burn out at the same time
your right they definitely wouldn't all go out at once...i kind of just thought it was a single bulb back there but i guess it makes more sense to be a few lol......so i guess that only leaves the headlights switch and/or the wire going back to the fuse panel? hmmm
Old 11-24-2010, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

If the 5 amp is good, leave it out and check the terminals for voltage. if there no power at all on either terminal, like sflxj said, its probably a bad headlight switch. There not to hard to swap, just follow the manual, or get pissed off and break your dash like my PO did.
i actually need to replace my trim bezel anyways lol
Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Bulb..

just take your time getting to it, you'll be fine
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

alright john and EV thanks for your help. i feel like i have a pretty good idea of where the problem is coming from now. happy turkey day tomorrow! i'll be tinkering with the heep lol

Quick Reply: dash lights just went out