Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

LH turn signal activates 4 way flashers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default LH turn signal activates 4 way flashers

Hello ya'll. I've got a 99 XJ, 4.0, 5 sp, 4wd, A/C, pwr, etc. In OEM stock config, use it for hauling the kids and dogs around. Currently stationed overseas at Ramstein Germany, and I need to get this through the german inspection.

Problem: When I turn on the LH blinker, it sometimes activates the RH turn signal simultaneously, so that it looks like the rear 4 way flashers are activated. The front flashers are not activated, so actually my post title is incorrect. I believe it to be that when I turn on the LH blinker th RH blinker comes on also.

It is intermittant, and doesn't seem to be able to duplicate when applying any specific conditions (turning the wheel, turning on the 4 way switch, turning on LH signal, RH signal, shutting off ignition, etc)

Everything else is fine on the jeep, I just can't spend my life looking for RH turns to get to my destinations -)

I'd replace the switch, but I'm in Germany and I can't just run down to AZ anymore.

I've checked the ground wire located behind the plastic panel and spare tire on the LH side ofthe jeep. It's solid. There is no problem with the level of the blinker fluid either. I've taken the plastic collar off the steering column along with the kick panel and looked at everything, alll was clean.

Any quick ideas? Before I tear into the column? Thanks,

Harry
Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

Do you have an after market alarm or factory alarm that operates the flashers when alarming? Other then that or even a faulty trailer wiring module I would have to say its in the column. check the hazards flasher. Could be something in there that came loose inside the flasher and hitting a bump dislodges it. these are only a guess but it gives you a few things to look at bfore replacing the column switch.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Mine does the same EXACT thing, has for years! Im to lazy to tear apart the column so i discovered that if i just hold the lever in place but dont click it all the way over it works....so ive learned to live with it. I suspect that its the switch but after having a mechanic totally screw up the column on my 89 I havent been eager to try to change it untill it fails totally.

Anyway im interested to see what you find out
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 AM

Bishop,

I've removed the trailer wiring module, it stilldoes the same thing :-(

Jekyll, my jeep looks just like yours. That could be an indicator.......

I'll try what you said about not clicking it all the way. That might be the ticket.

I'll let ou guys know what I come up with.

Har
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM

OK, this was simple, kind of. I removed the plastic cladding and removed the chrysler "multi-function switch" switch. I opened the switch by removing 4 star screws and 2 springs literally popped out

I studied the carnage for about 30 mins and tried putting every thing back together several times.

While it was apart, I took a rag and removed all the grease that had relocated itself by melting and was coating all the brass/copper contacts inside.

I fitted it all back together and was confounded to have a spring left over. I reinstalled the MFS in the column and was joyed to find that the blinkers now function perfectly.

Blinkers work, high beams work, 4 ways work.

It's not too hard to figure out if you're common sensical, I reckon. Mine had a sticker on it that aid "made in Mexico", so if mexican factory workers can hand assemble them, I reckon you probably could take it apart and put it back together.

You might want to have a bit of dielectric grease when reassembling. I just reused the old grease, putting it back where it was originally.
Saved myself a cool E 100.00 or so.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

Glad to hear that you worked it out. Only reason I suggested any of the other stuff is because when its all connected to the signals/flashers there is always the possibility of a failure. Some of the trailer modules have electronics in them that can fail although its rare.

But like I stated earlier, if you eliminate extras its easier to trace it to the root.

Two thumbs up on the repair and hope you get it through german inspection. I love it when theres a happy ending... hehe makes me want to go out and wrench my xj a little more to see what else I can fix/Modify.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

fyi mine has not trailer stuff on it.....did you remove the turn signal switch itself? i thought you have to pull the column to do that.

thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

If you have a turn signal, 4-way flasher high beam assembly it is dying on you...Replaced it on my 97 TJ and on my 00 XJ police package. It is a hard thing sometimes to find or replace but I would take a chance and replace it. If not not you are only out a couple of dollars and have a new part. There are four bolts at the bottom of the plastic that surrounds the column. They are hard to reach but not impossible. It will take you about 15 minutes to take them off. Remeber to be careful with the dash as you will need to take the plastic bezel off from around the gauges. Once those are out of the way you will have a clear shot at the part. The whole thing can take up to two hours to take apart and about 20 minutes of careful speed to reinstall if you have it with you.

Last edited by 00jeepXJ; 07-13-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: More info was needed
Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 AM

Thumbs up

Jek,

Nah, it's simple. Remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the steering column to remove the bottom part of the steering column cover, wiggle the top one off, then remove the 3 star screws holding the Multi Function Switch (MFS) ((That's what chrysler/jeep calls the turn signal/4 way flasher switch). You'll have to wiggle the column release/up/down lever a bit to get the MFS off the column, then disconnect the 2 connector plugs on the MFS and remove. I think it took me 8 minutes to get it off.

Then you can remove the 4 star screws on the MFS and take it apart. You probably have grease on the contacts like I did which cause the signls to short or something. If you're not good at this stuff, just buy a new one (I've seen them on the Bay for $40-$79.00) and reinstall.

Simple. There's also a post on either this forum or the other one called "replacing Jeep XJ turn signal switch" with pictures that is a complete walk through.

No sense in getting a $100.00 malfunction ticket when the repair is this easy.

Har