Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaking heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaking heater core?

So the carpet on the right side of my XJ sometimes gets really soaking wet. I took the floor mat out and now doesn't stay wet for long. I'm not sure if my heater core is leaking or if my weather stripping is bad. I haven't seen any water coming through the door when it rains though, and it only get's wet sometimes. Are there any other signs to check for before I start the process of replacing the heater core? Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM

Year: 2001

Heh, I just replaced mine, or I should say, my father-in-law just replaced mine, what a Bi**h!

Mine was bad, but I wasn't getting the moisture, coolant leak on the passenger side floor. Surprising, since the box containing the heater core itself had a standing pool of coolant inside it when it was removed. My dead give away was that I had evaporating coolant coming into the cab through my defrost vents (though thanks to some other forum folks who keyed me into the problem). I thought I had a weatherstripping issue, as I seemed to always be battling constant window fogging. My defrost wouldn't eliminate it, and even with all the heat/fans turned off, I still had this clearly visible vapor pouring in through my defrost vents, and a nauseating smell as well. The core's cheap, around $45-$60. The trouble is actually replacing it. Dealership wanted $1100 to do it, well, if the part is only $45, then we know how much labor's involved with that kind of service charge, geez.....

You're going to have to remove the dash, steering column, gauges, etc. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but might make for a good weekend project if you know what you're doing. I didn't, that's why my poor father-in-law got the job.

Here's a helpful link to give you an idea as to what you're up against.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...thread-592844/
Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 AM

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately ill probably end up having to embark on this adventure alone . But, I guess i have no other choice haha. Thanks again for the input and link man.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Dont replace heater core if u dont have to. Ifit is antifreeze it will smell sweet and u will obvisouly be lossing coolant. A clogged A/C vent hose will make the floor wet over there to, especially when it rains.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Agreed. You MUST determine whether what is getting your carpet wet is water or antifreeze.

If it is antifreeze, you'll definitely smell the "sweet" coolant smell.

Replacing the heater core won't help you if this is water intrusion from the "outside".
Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Alright ill hit the door with the water hose for a few minutes and see if it gets wet then. Is it possible there could be a water intrusion from somewhere else other then the door?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM

So i found where the possible leak could be, there was a piece of weather stripping that's dry rotted and falling off. So I pulled it off the rest of the way. I'm going to order a new one for both sides but i don't know the name of the part. Its like a right angle piece of rubber that runs down the length of the A-piller and is held on by plastic bolt-clips. Anyone know? thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Year: 2001

Whoa, you may have hit the goldmine as far as NOT having to tear out your dash, gauges, etc.! I wish I was so lucky.

Not sure of the name of the part, but this link should help you out a bit.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Weatherstrip/index.html
Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Red Sled 01
Whoa, you may have hit the goldmine as far as NOT having to tear out your dash, gauges, etc.! I wish I was so lucky.

Not sure of the name of the part, but this link should help you out a bit.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Weatherstrip/index.html
Found it! It's called the "Secondary Rain Molding" Thank you so much Red Sled! I really appreciate the help guys. Although I'm kinda dreading the fact that the heater core will go out eventually but at-least I won't have to go through all that right now (hopefully this fixes it). Thanks again guys