Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HVAC Overhaul this weekend (3 basic questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default HVAC Overhaul this weekend (3 basic questions)

Hi folks,
Hoping someone can give me some direction for my HVAC refresh.

I got the Jeep and the HVAC system was pretty much non functioning - heater core was blocked and leaking, and the AC system was fully discharged.

I already changed out the heater-core, but I think I borked the mounting of the blend door and it ended up binding and the ball-head that connects the temperature cable to the blend door ended up snapping off, so the cable is kind of hanging right now.

In addition, I figure I would swap my Evap core out as I dont want to EVER have to go back into the HVAC box because of what a royal PITA it is.

So my actual questions;

1. Has anyone had the temperature cable "ball head" shear off, and can I secure it with a small bolt and some nuts? (see linked picture for the part I am talking about, its the white plastic piece and the small nub that the cable snaps onto);
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...nd-door-tj.jpg

2. Replacing the AC Evap core and AC Drier - is this one a suitable replacement? I know that it will fit, it has a lifetime warranty if it ever fails, but I want to make sure that it will cool properly and that it isn't built like crap. The factory one in theory should work, but I don't want to have to pull the HVAC box out again if it doesn't.

3. I actually attempted this last weekend, but got hung up on the bolt furthest to the right that securs the HVAC box to the firewall (the bolt just to the right of the blower in the engine bay). I am going to buy 2 wobble joints for the project, but does anyone have any advice for getting that bolt out? I will post pics when I get home in an hour.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to plan the whole thing out because I am famous for starting a massive project, getting 99% of the hard stuff out of the way, and getting hung up on something stupid like an impossible to reach bolt....
Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

So here are the pics;

This is the bolt I could not reach on the far left side of the HVAC box in the engine bay
Name:  20150924_083818.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  113.6 KB

I removed the cylinder thing with the hose attached (top circled bolt), but the bottom thing didn't want to move after removing the attached bolt (hidden behind the wire loom, couldn't see another one on the back side). Any ideas as to how to get a wrench back there? I am going to try and find a long-handled wrench in that size to try because I couldn't get my ratchet in there with just 1 wobble joint.

Name:  20150924_083803.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  218.5 KB

And this is the HVAC Blend Door arm inside the cabin - note the rough plastic where the nub used to be. I am thinking of drilling a hole and using a small bolt, and using 2 nuts and washers to create a "sleeve" of sorts so the temperature sensor cable end can swivel freely without binding.

Name:  20150924_083937.jpg
Views: 2104
Size:  168.1 KB

And this is the evap core I am going to get. Should be adequate? The reviews aren't horrible so I assume it should be an OK part.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/t...188/18891071-P

And I am going to put some foam tape around the upper dash area to try and quiet some rattling down.