Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Knocking noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Knocking noise on startup

Hi guys new here and new to Cherokees! I've got a 2001 Cherokee 4wd and when I start it the starter sounds as if it's in a bind and makes a random knock or clunk sound. I thought I had a bad flex plate so I changed it out along with the starter and still have the same problem. The PO said he replaced the trans and according to the tags on it it is a 30-43LE and from what I've read that is supposed to be in the 2wd xj's. I guess my question is if the trans is made for the 2wd could it be possible that they require a different flex plate than the aw4 for the 4wd? Or if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears this thing has me at a loss because I was almost Sure the flex plate was my problem. Also from all the searching I've done it says to seat the torque converter before putting the trans back on the engine, I turned the TC by hand quite a bit but it never felt as if it moved back any but the end of it was flush with the edge of the bell housing. Is it possible that I just didn't get the TC seated into the tyranny good enough?