Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help me identify my engine/trans/wiring harness please

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default help me identify my engine/trans/wiring harness please

I have had another thread going about my basket case 91 xj that would not run and after extensive testing and trying this and that and buying out all the cherokee parts from autozone and oreilly we got it to run but poorly. its backfiring when you push the throttle hard and wont idle real well sometimes and lacks power.

HOWEVER, the only way it will run is if we stick a pcm with a date of 11/93 in the harness. Im going to assume this came from a 94 model cherokee. We have put three different pcms from different 91 model donor cherokees in and not one of them will start the truck besides the 94. i cant see 3 pcms being bad especially since i get a check engine light on all of them and they all give me codes with the key trick. They are communicating ....they just will NOT run the truck.

The PO before me knows nothing about the vehicle other than he bought it from a used car dealer to use as a trail rig and sold it to me because he couldnt get it to run any longer. And the used car dealer obviously knows nothing about it since he bought it at auction out of state.

My question is, does anyone know how i can identify the engine or trans or transfer case or sensor layout or something to look for in the wiring harness that will be different or does anyone have a pcm pinout for both a 91 and a 94 cherokee that i can compare?

I know the engine block casting number is from a 91-95 but thats not exactly much help.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled the numbers off of my PDC box part no. 56017296 claims to be a PDC for a 94-96 model year ....however if i look at a PDC for a 91 model on chrysler parts website it claims a 91 model pdc fits 91-96...confusing. however i can tell you that i have a PDC from a 94 to 96 and yes someone has replaced it and did a hack job at that. Pulling back the wire loom reveals a job done with butt connectors and no heat shrink ...wowsa.

Im wondering if its possible that maybe this is why the 1991 cherokee will not run with a 91 computer but will run (missing somewhat) with a 94 pcm.

Anybody?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I don't have the 1991 wiring diagrams but these may [?] help:

1990 PCM pin out:

Name:  90%20PCM%20pin%20out.jpg
Views: 3508
Size:  2.03 MB