Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

kick down cable REPLACEMENT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default kick down cable REPLACEMENT??

can anyone assit with thereplcament of th ekickdown cable or also know as the tv cable to some..

i know one end is hooked to the throttle up top and the other end goes where? inside th etranny pan i assume. i got the new cable and there is an o ring so i assume it must seal from fluid.

any write ups or pics of a how to would be great..
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

when dealing with the tranny I bring it in to my tranny guy... but the fluid won't seal it, trust me, thats why they use seals!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeshain
when dealing with the tranny I bring it in to my tranny guy... but the fluid won't seal it, trust me, thats why they use seals!

wait what? the end of the cable there is an o-ring so with that that o-ring acts as a seal. i would just like to know if anybody went through with this job and any pointers.

basically from wat i understand you drop the tranny pan and the cable is attached with a coulple bolts or something then the cable has like a ball crimp sorta like a brake cable on a mountain bike or etc brake lever, that slips into a groove. then you bolt the end of the cable plastic peice and the end with the o ring gets pushed into watever is in there..ah ill find out tommorow wheni dro the pan

jsut lookin for any advice on it...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, you need to drop the transmission pan.

The cable goes through above the pan, and the cable end (bicycle type ball like you mentioned) goes in a slot on a cam that you need to rotate around and slip in.

Drop the pan and you'll see... very simple really.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Yes, you need to drop the transmission pan.

The cable goes through above the pan, and the cable end (bicycle type ball like you mentioned) goes in a slot on a cam that you need to rotate around and slip in.

Drop the pan and you'll see... very simple really.
so you claim very simple.. and you were correct. evrything was simple sorta.

first to drop the pan the dipstick is a rash to get out. ended up cutting the dip tube gunna cover up with hose and two hose clamps.

second the pan doesnt seem to drop so easy with the teansfer case brace and exhaust in the front. but alittle shimy it really was simple.

last but not least got the cable end out of the tranny and everything was good to go till i went to get the bolt that holds the cable end in place and without even a breath of air "snap" bplt head snaps off. bad situation. and believe it or not i kroiled it or pb blasted it prior and i also used a 1/4 " rachet. this ***** shud not of broke.

so now im gunna have to see wat to do. to drill out this bolt i def need a right angle drill .no acces from the bottom.but i gotta keep it straight cus the bolt is sorta keyed with the oring end that slips into tranny. i mit construct a type of clamp and small screw on top and bottom to key it and then clamp in place and leav the broken screw alone and dont even bothr the headach of drillin..

anybody ever go thru with this problem?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I'm assuming you're dealing with an AW4. My bolt came right out, no problem. Not sure why yours snapped like that.

My headache came in the form of what seems to be a bracket on top of the trans that the cable is routed through. There is a Chrysler engineer somewhere who has earned my wrath for that one. I ended up cutting my old cable to get it out, after some creative blasphemy and cursing.