Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

K&N Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default K&N Oil Filter

Anyone running one or have a view on it,
Its oil change week and AZ has the 5 quart jug of synthetic with a KN filter for $27.00.
i have never used one but would love to try if they don't suck that is.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 2.5 Turbo diesel

If they are anything like K&N air filters then you want to steer clear.

Stick with mobile one or WIX, or any other trusted brands.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

found this--

Always the talk about oil: oil types, brands, weights, viscosities, etc. But often the most important part of the lubrication is overlooked. The heart of this would be the oil filter.
Engine oil filters have one purpose in life: to filter out the particles that enter the oil so that they don't act as abrasives when the oil recirculates. The filter is a cellulose (paper) or synthetic media that is usually contained in a steel can. Many filters have an anti-drainback valve to prevent dirty oil from backwashing back into the oil pan. They also have a pressure relief or bypass valve that will allow oil to bypass the filter element in the event that it becomes too plugged to pass enough oil. This prevents engine oil starvation and the possibility of destroying the element, possibly causing pieces of it and the junk it filtered to enter the engine.
More useless information:
The media the comprises a filter is made out of one of the following:
Synthetics – the best

Fiberglass – decent but not the best, mainly because the media is held together with glues and therefore decreases flows

Cellulose – cheapest, swells and distorts over time and flow.

Filter Parts Breakdown:
1. The Base, which contains the engine filter seal, mounting threads (outlet hole), and the interior oil filter one-way (anti-drain back) valve.
2. The Can, which encloses the rest of the filter assembly and is roll mounted to the base.
3. The Filter, which contains the medium that removes foreign particles from the oil and is mounted on a sturdy frame.
4. The By-Pass Valve, which is rated for a certain amount of pressure so that it lets oil by-pass the filter when pressure exceeds OEM limits.
5. The Spring, which generally functions to ensure that the filter assembly fits snugly into the base and gasket .

The question comes down to which filter to buy:

Who makes the best? Who makes who? Which filter should I use?

A breakdown on the maker of filters is listed below:

Honeywell - makes Fram (In Canada the Quaker State filters are Fram filters / In the USA, QS is Purolator), Pennzoil, Quaker State

Honeywell is not even an automotive based company. Their primary sales consist of air conditioning filters, insulation, etc. Cars are not their business. They always rate the poorest in filter reviews. Even their best filter (Extra-tough guard) is only decent. They have very cheap internal parts, but people buy them. I will give them credit, they have a great marketing strategy. Bright cute colors and a sure-gripâ„¢ top will sell anything.

Arvin Meritor - makes Purolator Premium Plus, PureONE, Ford OEM, V-1 & SureFlow (Superflow?)

Better then Honeywell, Arvin Meritor dabbles quite a bit in automotive parts. Filters are not their only gig; they also produce steering/suspension parts, etc. They produce a low – medium line filter. Nothing fancy….

Dana - makes Wix and Napa Gold/Silver, AC Delco DuraGuards for Canada

Even a better manufacturer of filters…some (Wix, Napa Gold line, some Delcos, etc.) come with synthetic valves & media. They are considered a medium line filter. Dana makes some great products, nothing cheap here.

Baldwin (Parent of Hastings) - Baldwin, Hastings, Amsoil, Casite, etc.

Baldwin has pretty big range of quality. Their bottom of the line is the Hastings filter which is a decent filter and extends up to their top of the line Amsoil filter. You get what you pay for here.

Champion Labs - Mobil 1, K&N, Supertech, AC Delco DuraGuards (two different types) for USA, Bosch Premium, STP, Ultraguard Gold, Deutch & Luberfiner

Here we have the biggest range and the largest manufacturer of filters. Champion Labs is responsible for making many OEM filters. Ford has used Champion Labs and so has Chrysler and GM. Champion Labs make some of the best filters like the Mobil 1 & K&N. The cheapest, the Supertech, actually betters out the FRAM in density and length of media believe it or not. But then, Champion is also responsible for some junk like the STP and Bosch. So if you are going cheap, grab the Supertech over the FRAM or basic Purolator.

Cummins - owns Fleetguard filters (primary supplier of trucks)

Mann - a top quality German filter maker. Comes on BMWs, Porsche, Audi, some Volvos.

Summary: There are some filters I may have overlooked, but this largely covers 95% of all the oil filters made. In a nutshell you have:

Best filters: AC Delco, Baldwin, Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, .

Medium: AC Delco, Napa, Wix, PureOne(?)

Crap filters: Fram, Bosch, Penzzoil & Quaker (made by Fram)

What good is good oil when you have junk filtration? I don’t want to bore you with flow rates, media densities, etc. But what are a few of bucks difference? You are better off running good oil and a good filter 7500 miles then running junk for 3000. A base line FRAM stops filtration at around 2500-3000 hard miles anyway.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the K&N Gold HP 3001 filter in my '97. It's longer than stock by a good margin, so total oil cacpacity goes up slightly.

Rob
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

I used Fram for years until I was turned onto Wix by an auto store. I researched it, and it is sold on Amsoil's website. Since then, I have used Wix on my 96 Cherokee (4.0L) and my girlfriend's 99 Wrangler (4.0L), with no problems. However, I am thinking about going with Amsoil's Dual Remote Oil Bypass System (BMK-23).
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to run a FRAM but read up on them and switched to WIX filters. I normally run Castrol GTX HighMileage 10W-30, but I decided to go with the K&N and Castrol Synthetic 10W-30 this last oil change. Runs great, I had a very slight tick (the normal 4.0 sound, not a bad rod) before that I can't hear now.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Year: 1999

wix also makes carquest premium blue filters and i believe the reds
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm due for an oil change on the '96 and will be curious as to whether a premium filter will affect my oil pressure reading.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by excess650
I'm due for an oil change on the '96 and will be curious as to whether a premium filter will affect my oil pressure reading.
Oil pressure has nothing to do with the filter or the pump. Essentially, it is the pressure of your oil when it is squirted out of the little holes in your crankshaft, lubricating your bearing journals. Your pump is probably fine, as well. What it means is that your engine most likely needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. All that the premium oil filter will serve to accomplish is to better filter your oil.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porphyry
Oil pressure has nothing to do with the filter or the pump. Essentially, it is the pressure of your oil when it is squirted out of the little holes in your crankshaft, lubricating your bearing journals. Your pump is probably fine, as well. What it means is that your engine most likely needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. All that the premium oil filter will serve to accomplish is to better filter your oil.
Where the crap did all that come from? He never said he was having pressure issues. He only asked if a performance filter would affect his pressure readings. Oh, and the pump, though not the primary source of pressure, does play a role in it. If the pump is bad the engine will not have a regular flow of oil. Without this regular flow, the resistance needed to create pressure will also be irregular, resulting in a lower oil pressure. You are correct though in that most cases of low oil pressure are due to worn bearings (main and rod) and crankshaft journals. The worn parts create gaps which allow the oil to flow through more easily. This lack of resistance is what causes low oil pressure.

excess650 - a performance filter will NOT affect your pressure readings. Performance filters are made from higher quality parts, allowing them to filter the oil better, as well as keep the dirty oil from getting back into the engine by way of a anti-drain back valve. The whole point of using one is to keep clean oil running through your engine for longer.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Where the crap did all that come from? He never said he was having pressure issues. He only asked if a performance filter would affect his pressure readings. Oh, and the pump, though not the primary source of pressure, does play a role in it. If the pump is bad the engine will not have a regular flow of oil. Without this regular flow, the resistance needed to create pressure will also be irregular, resulting in a lower oil pressure. You are correct though in that most cases of low oil pressure are due to worn bearings (main and rod) and crankshaft journals. The worn parts create gaps which allow the oil to flow through more easily. This lack of resistance is what causes low oil pressure.

excess650 - a performance filter will NOT affect your pressure readings. Performance filters are made from higher quality parts, allowing them to filter the oil better, as well as keep the dirty oil from getting back into the engine by way of a anti-drain back valve. The whole point of using one is to keep clean oil running through your engine for longer.
Fair enough, I oversimplified my response a bit much.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 96

Can't go wrong with good ole mopar performance oil filters. And if your looking for the best in anything involving oil use royal purple theirs a reason that stuff is so expansive
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

To the OP heres a link:
http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm
Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM

I will always pay the money to buy a good filter, as long as the filter is what it says it is. It can make all the difference.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

On my .97 Cherokee Sport, I use a K&N filter and Royal Purple. The best combination for the Jeep IL 4.0.

Quick Reply: K&N Oil Filter