Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just a *girl* with an oil pump question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just a *girl* with an oil pump question

The 'just a girl' thing seemed to get lots of responses, so I thought I would try it . I know that deception isnt cool, but neither are oil pump problems

So while redoing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal, i thought to myself, why dont i just go ahead and replace the oil pump while I am down here. what could possibly go wrong?

Anyhow, after replacing the oil pump I found out that my oil pressure gauge did not zero out. Instead it liked to rest at 20 lb or so. So I went and replaced the sending unit (40 dollars at NAPA btw). When I went to replace it, when the I uncoupled it there was pressure between the two and a decent amount of oil in the connector. I cleaned it out as best I could, but I have no confidence that I am getting a real reading.

Anyhow, I used a drill to prime the pump (i think). I ran it clockwise until it got hard to turn. Then ran it a few times after that. When I turn the engine over without the coil attached, the pressure guage sits at 0. When I ran the motor (maybe 10 s) I got no reading. My question is what are the signs that I am getting oil pressure. I pulled off my valve cover and am waiting for the wife to get home to crank it while I look for oil. Is this the right thing to do? Where should oil come out of in the head? I have been cranking it a bit, and would like to do as little as possible just in case there is not oil circulating.

thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

darn you got me at first with the girl thing
Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by atomic-xj
The 'just a girl' thing seemed to get lots of responses, so I thought I would try it . I know that deception isnt cool, but neither are oil pump problems

So while redoing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal, i thought to myself, why dont i just go ahead and replace the oil pump while I am down here. what could possibly go wrong?

Anyhow, after replacing the oil pump I found out that my oil pressure gauge did not zero out. Instead it liked to rest at 20 lb or so. So I went and replaced the sending unit (40 dollars at NAPA btw). When I went to replace it, when the I uncoupled it there was pressure between the two and a decent amount of oil in the connector. I cleaned it out as best I could, but I have no confidence that I am getting a real reading.

Anyhow, I used a drill to prime the pump (i think). I ran it clockwise until it got hard to turn. Then ran it a few times after that. When I turn the engine over without the coil attached, the pressure guage sits at 0. When I ran the motor (maybe 10 s) I got no reading. My question is what are the signs that I am getting oil pressure. I pulled off my valve cover and am waiting for the wife to get home to crank it while I look for oil. Is this the right thing to do? Where should oil come out of in the head? I have been cranking it a bit, and would like to do as little as possible just in case there is not oil circulating.

thanks
idk about running it with the valve cover off...if so stand back...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Yeah I think running without the valve cover = lots of mess. I guess the fact that this isnt happening is a good sign that I am not getting pressure. It appears that the upper area is getting a light coat of oil when I crank it with the coil unhooked. I'm just not sure what it should look like. Anyone here have any experience priming these things?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

You can pack the pump with assembly lube so its not dry on start up, and has instant pick up.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 PM

yeah thats what I may have to do tomorrow. I completely forgot that step, and then of course I put it all together Was hoping to get it running with the drill as a primer.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I sorry.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM

has anyone ever successfully filled the oil pump from the oil filter hole?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

i filled the pump with oil before i put it in. kinda tough to get it in w/o spilling oil everywhere but it works great now... also i went and got a cheapo mechanical oil pressure gauge to check the readings
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With the valve cover off, watch for oil coming up thru the oil hole in the rocker arm directly above the pushrods.

No need to drop the pan again. Keep spinning the pump with your drill (not too fast) until you see each rocker getting oil.

As far as the pressure on the gauge, spin the pump with your drill, key in and ignition in the ON position, have your wife watch the gauge. Make sure you do this with the valve cover installed.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM

which direction should the drill spin. my local mechanic was pretty sure it was clockwise. When it turns clockwise, its harder to spin, but it almost sounds like its blowing bubbles in the oil. Counter-clockwise its much easier to spin, but never gets harder as i would expect if the pump was getting filled
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IIRC, clockwise as you're lookin' down at the pump. You'll know rather quickley with the VC off.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 PM

alright, gonna try it manana
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L MFI 6cyl

Your no woman!