Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Just a few Questions

Hey I Just Had A few Questions. First I want some new seats in my '97 4 door XJ sport. I found some front seats but was unable to find floor brackets for XJs. Also does anyone know of a place to find rear bench seats/ floor brackets.
Other than the seats I was wondering if the Banks Power Ram Air kit for the 4.0 Wrangler would fit in my 4.0 XJ. If that doesn't work whats the best power increasing air Cleaner I Could buy for the price. My last question I want to buy a new set of tires because my old ones are so low on tread that they're barely legal. I want to get some Super Swamper TSLs but don't know if I should get Bias Or Radial Ply. I drive on road mostly, off road quite a bit and tow a trailer now and then, what tire should I go with and where would be the cheapest place to buy them. Sorry to bother you with my long Question>https://www.cherokeeforum.com/images...s/sign0085.gif
Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know of any AM brackets for the XJ, if someone else does, spill it. There are a ton of intake kits for your XJ. They all do the same basic thing, breathe better than the stock one. With that being said, the increase is not a lot. The difference between them is even less, so long story short, try your best not to pay for a name, pay for quality. It can be cheaper than a name sometimes!! Tires are a hot topic around here, so you will get a ton of info on them! IMO, unless you wheel in a lot of mud, an AT would serve you well, since you spend most of your time on the road.

Blue, talk to him about your favorite tire!!

P.S. Love ya buddy, and BFG makes one he!! of a good tire!!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

As the man says BFG KOs will ride the best and last the longest and has some pretty decent traction in everything but mud then you need BFG M/Ts for that. Some gumbo mud nothing is going to get you through except a winch and luck. What type of terrain do you have where you are?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L i6

Where me and my friends go mudding it's mostly in muddy corn fields and the sections of woods where we cut wood, thats why I'm steering away from AT tires. A friend of mine said SS TSLs were good quality, especialy for the price. Is he full of crap or not, and should I get radial or bias ply. Also If I got a another Rear Seat for a Wrangler or CJ do you think it would fit? I'm Sure I could rig up some rear seat brackets if no one knows where to get a pair.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by big*blue*cherokee*
Hey I Just Had A few Questions. First I want some new seats in my '97 4 door XJ sport. I found some front seats but was unable to find floor brackets for XJs. Also does anyone know of a place to find rear bench seats/ floor brackets.
Other than the seats I was wondering if the Banks Power Ram Air kit for the 4.0 Wrangler would fit in my 4.0 XJ. If that doesn't work whats the best power increasing air Cleaner I Could buy for the price. My last question I want to buy a new set of tires because my old ones are so low on tread that they're barely legal. I want to get some Super Swamper TSLs but don't know if I should get Bias Or Radial Ply. I drive on road mostly, off road quite a bit and tow a trailer now and then, what tire should I go with and where would be the cheapest place to buy them. Sorry to bother you with my long Question>https://www.cherokeeforum.com/images...s/sign0085.gif
Check out www.4wd.com

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?PN=1&word=seat+brackets

They have seat brackets for xj's. Not sure if you want OEM or aftermarket. If you want oem, check out www.daveysjeeps.com. Send him a request and i'm sure he'll have em.

4wd.com also beats ANY competitors price so if you find them (tires) cheaper, tell them and they will beat it.

Last edited by muddeprived; 06-14-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Radials or Bias ply... What part of the country??? If you live where it gets below 40 much, you are going to want to steer clear of Bias tires. They will flat spot, and the cold only aggravates that problem...

TSL SS are good tires.. but not good road tires..
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by whowey
Radials or Bias ply... What part of the country??? If you live where it gets below 40 much, you are going to want to steer clear of Bias tires. They will flat spot, and the cold only aggravates that problem...

TSL SS are good tires.. but not good road tires..
Very true. If you want a swamper that rolls and not a thumper, try out the trxus m/t's. they are made by interco but are radials with swamper tread pattern.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Yeah Trxus makes good tires but are not very road friendly in my book. If you just want something to slap on for running around in muddy fields then try the Trxus M/T tires and it is a good rule to stay away from bias ply tires in general. If they sit overnight and it is cold they act like they are square. Same thing if it is hot and they sit a few days. Ride like Fred Flintstone chiseled them out of a solid rock for you.