Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jumping, stalling then hard start 2001 xj

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 strait 6
Unhappy Jumping, stalling then hard start 2001 xj

Hey all, posted on the ask a question thread and got no response so figured I'd go into more detail here. My 2001 Cherokee had been running great since I got it a little over a year ago. At worst it would run bad after starting maybe 3 times randomly throughout the year. Gave it a little gas and would run fine afterwards. Then about a month ago, related or unrelated I don't know, I was driving to work it "jumped" twice then again at a stop light and died. After a couple tries I managed to get it started and it drove good the next couple days. I was thinking I got some bad gas as it had been raining. So rarely the problem persisted, some "bumping" or "jumping" while driving, a stall at a stoplight and a hard start (never a problem starting at first). Then a week later it started "jumping" and dying while driving, leaving me coasting to a stop. So I finally ran my tank to fumes and filled up at Chevron to no avail. The Fuel pressure reads at 49 where it's supposed to. When I did the test I let the car die from idle then the gauge started fluttering fast between 48 and 50 which I hear can happen on a cheap gauge but I do wonder if it's normal to read steady then start to flutter. I'm really leaning toward fuel filter issue in which case I'll be changing the whole assembly. I know to stay away from Airtech and have read that Carter is the same thing with some different parts. The only Bosch I can find anywhere is an actual OEM for $329.00 from Napa and I'd have to get it shipped. I'll probably order it tonight unless anyones got a better idea of what my problem could be or can steer me in the direction of either a cheaper Bosch or other brand of similar quality. No check engine light or codes btw. Thanks all!!

Last edited by Fretman12; 07-17-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

When it dies check to see if you have spark. It sounds more like your CPS is going out and not a fuel problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

I haven't gone that route yet. I have read some forums on it. Something about loosening some screws might work. I'll keep researching that end. I did notice when it dies while idleing the rpm gauge will go all over the place before dropping to 0, just the gauge the engine doesn't rev. Even seen it go all the way up then drop real quick.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Tested the voltage on the cps and cam position sensor both are fine. Didn't die this time around so couldn't check for spark. Both my mechanic friends are pushing me toward the fuel pump assembly. Will order the Bosch tonight. Hope it works.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM

Smile

Changed the fuel pump assembly, wasn't the problem. Changed CPS and bingo, problem solved!!! Lesson learned: Don't trust the voltage check! Oh well, guess I wont have to worry about the fuel pump assembly. Now my Jeep goes vroooooom!!!!