Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric Fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Electric Fan issue

So I have searched the forum and It seems like most of the E fan issues are a bit different. I have a 98 XJ and the E Fan isn't cutting on as it should at 218* all the time so it's inconsistent. So today I popped the hood, cranked on the AC and watched temps slowly rise up to 220 and the E fan didn't cut on. I then pulled out the CTS from the thermostat housing. I did this because I had read that if the CTS is pulled then the E Fan will be forced on however the fan still did not turn on. So then I thought it might have been the fan relay in the PDC. I swapped it out with the fuel pump relay and the fan didn't cut on. I then decided to test the fan itself by wiring it up to the battery and it magically cut on. Any suggestions?

Last edited by hellmouth19d; 07-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hellmouth19d
So I have searched the forum and It seems like most of the E fan issues are a bit different. I have a 98 XJ and the E Fan is cutting on as it should at 218* all the time so it's inconsistent. So today I popped the hood, cranked on the AC and watched temps slowly rise up to 220 and the E fan didn't cut on.

First of all, the coolant temp should not be getting up to 220*F. You should do some coolant system maintenance, like flushing the coolant system, etc.

I then pulled out the CTS from the thermostat housing. I did this because I had read that if the CTS is pulled then the E Fan will be forced on however the fan still did not turn on.

Pulling the CTS connector tests the entire fan circuit. If the fan didn't kick on, check fuse #5 (40 Amp) in the PDC and check fuse #10 (15 Amp) in the Junction Block (JB). #10 fuse also powers the Transmission Range Sensor (Back Up Lamp Feed in the transmission control module), and Duty Cycle EVAP Solenoid. So if any of these system do work, #10 is probably okay; however, people have found that #10 fuse wasn't even installed. Fuse #10 is the 5th fuse up on the front bank of fuses.

Don't trust your eyes when checking fuses, just replace them with new fuses.

So then I thought it might have been the fan relay in the PDC. I swapped it out with the fuel pump relay and the fan didn't cut on. I then decided to test the fan itself by wiring it up to the battery and it magically cut on. Any suggestions?
At least the fan can be ruled out as being defective (for the time being).
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
At least the fan can be ruled out as being defective (for the time being).
Ok thanks for the info. I'll get out there and check it out. I'll report back.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM

Okay so I went out there and pulled the CTS again before I started the vehicle. The fan turned on. I thought that was weird. So I turned truck off and tried it again after fan had stopped spinning. The fan didn't cut on... So I thought to myself that was strange. So I turned it off and turned it back on one more time and flicked the fan with my finger and the fan started to rotate. So now I'm thinking the motor in the electric fan is toast??
Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay so I went out there and pulled the CTS again before I started the vehicle. The fan turned on. I thought that was weird. So I turned truck off and tried it again after fan had stopped spinning. The fan didn't cut on... So I thought to myself that was strange. So I turned it off and turned it back on one more time and flicked the fan with my finger and the fan started to rotate. So now I'm thinking the motor in the electric fan is toast??
When you pull the CTS while running, it should take about a second before the fan kicks on, and should trigger a check engine light. Did all that happen?

Kind of sounds like your fan is in fact the issue if you could kick-start it with your finger.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
When you pull the CTS while running, it should take about a second before the fan kicks on, and should trigger a check engine light. Did all that happen?

Kind of sounds like your fan is in fact the issue if you could kick-start it with your finger.
It triggered the CEL when I pulled the CTS and I gave it longer than a second for fan to come on. Then I kickstarted the fan and it came on.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM

It triggered the CEL when I pulled the CTS and I gave it longer than a second for fan to come on. Then I kickstarted the fan and it came on.
Okay now today has thrown me for a loop. Fan is coming on when I turn on A/C. I'm not sure what's causing the inconsistency?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe you had a loose wire somewhere and inadvertently fixed it with your fiddling?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Maybe you had a loose wire somewhere and inadvertently fixed it with your fiddling?
Maybe so... never seen so many quirks as I have with a Jeep. I'm doing a radiator flush now so I don't have to rely so much on the E fan. I also pulled the CTS from the T Stat housing and cleaned it off. Seems to help a bit.