Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep XJ Lifter Tick or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep XJ Lifter Tick or Something Else?

Hi gonna say first off I apologize if this is the wrong sub section I am new to this forum so feel free to move to the right section if need be.

Okay, so. I just put a new head on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ and started it up and started hearing a ticking I assume from my knowledge it's lifter tick but it seems awful loud.. Maybe I need to torque the rocker down more? They are torqued to roughly 19lbs right now. I read somewhere they needed to be 19-24lbs so I went on the safe side to go lose rather than too tight. If you have any ideas of what it could be rather other than lifter tick I'd appreciate the help!

Here is a video of what I am hearing.

Updated Video

5-30-17 UPDATE

Last edited by FilthyXJ; 05-30-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added another video
Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Wouldn't be the vapor canister purge valve/solenoid would it? They tick pretty loud. On my '96 it's on the passenger side near the heater hoses at the firewall.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Any other ideas?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Doesn't sound normal to me. You say you torqued it to 'ROUGHLY' 19 ft/lbs. Why is it 'Roughly'? Did you use a torque wrench or the German method of gudintit?

As far as that sound after it shuts off, my 90 does that also. Sure hope that's normal, mine has done that since I bought it.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Doesn't sound normal to me. You say you torqued it to 'ROUGHLY' 19 ft/lbs. Why is it 'Roughly'? Did you use a torque wrench or the German method of gudintit?

As far as that sound after it shuts off, my 90 does that also. Sure hope that's normal, mine has done that since I bought it.
Haha, I meant roughly as in we all know some torque spec wrenches are not 100% accurate but yes I did torque them to 19 foot pounds. The other day I loosened them up and retighten them and the sound is still there. But the shut off sound went away. I'm just hoping it's not a rod.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Torque wrench calibration is possibly a concern. I do not use click type torque wrenches anymore after I had one fail on me. I was torquing flywheel bolts on an LS1 in a Camaro, torquing down waiting for the click and it suddenly got loose. Pulled the bolt and it was hour glass shaped. Another half turn and it would've broken. Ugh.

I recommend a beam or dial type torque wrench, more accurate. Click type torque wrenches are not allowed for use on Nuclear submarines by the US Navy. You're not working on a submarine I know, but please follow my logic. You might try torquing them to say 22 ft lbs with another torque wrench. If you have access to a calibrated torque wrench, so much the better.

I find it hard to believe a lifter failed after you replaced the head. It didn't tick before you replaced the head, so I think the issue was created by the work performed. You did verify the same lifters and pushrods went back in the same locations with the same rockers right? Those items all wear together and should be kept in the same cylinders as sets.

How long did you own and drive the vehicle before replacing the cylinder head? What issue led to the replacement of the head?

Last edited by bad_idea; 04-25-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Yes I laid everything out on a cardboard box and made sure everything went back where it was supposed to. The head was replaced because the vehicle overheated and blew a head gasket so I figured I'd get the head check for cracks and they had three hairline cracks. I added another video of what I am hearing. Some of my torque converter bolts were loose so I tightened them up and went on another drive around the block and still heard the knocking/tapping so I'm **** out of luck. I don't want to drive the vehicle anywhere to make the situation worse it's unfortunate because this is my pride and joy
Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Take a breath. It's a nice looking jeep and not a lost cause. I wish I could be of more help, but we have about exhausted my knowledge on the subject. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will step in soon. I think you are approaching the situation well. I assume by the mess of cars in the driveway this isn't your sole vehicle, so hopefully you can take your time sorting it out.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Well ill be honest the the other toys are my dads and I don't like driving his things incase I break them like I did mine.. I'm just hoping it's something simple and I'm over looking it. Haven't drove it for right around two months so it's aggravating and I know nothing sounds perfect with these motors but with what I'm hearing doesn't sound normal and I wish and can only hope my camera is capturing that.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

I hear it. I would suggest getting a GOOD mechanic to look at it before driving it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Year: 2000

Does it go away after the engine is completely warmed up?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by fijicorey25
Does it go away after the engine is completely warmed up?
Unfortunately no it doesn't. You don't hear when you start the engine but once it's warm then it starts. I would assume it's not a rod since it's not right at start up.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Any other opinions? I'm out of luck at this point and really need some more opinions..
Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Sometimes exhaust leaks can be tricky.
Did you torque and replace the exhaust manifold/gasket.

Might want to zero in on the tick location with a stethoscope.
Nice Jeep!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i have what i think is piston slap . sound goes down when hot. opposite of yours but im thinking of pulling the belt for a short run to see if its something on the outside? can that be done?
lots of stuff rotating there.