Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeep stalled while drving

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default jeep stalled while drving

I have a 1993 jeep grand Cherokee 4WD 5.2L FI OHV 8cyl. I left to work the other day and while driving my jeep seemed to be running rough. At about 2 miles down the road, it seemed as though it was starving for fuel. The more I pressed on the gas, it just sputtered and then died. I coasted to the side of the road, and the engine cranked over, but it would not start. I tried several times, but it would not start. I just had the fuel pump inside the tank replaced about 6 months ago, and I could smell fuel under the hood leading me to think its not the fuel pump. The distributor cap was replaced, because it did show some wear, but still will not start. The jeep has 248,000 miles on it, and I was already told that it was loosing compression on no 1. I had a major tune up about three months ago, and it ran better then it was before. Could the engine had finally gone? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Theresa