Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep runs cold<need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Jeep runs cold<need help

i have no clue what open and closed loop means. i was told by my friend i bought my jeep from he said he put in a 180 degree temp stat. my gauge usually reads the first line above 100 degress when driving around and the heater dosent blow as hot as my last jeep i had and that ran at 210 all the time never above never below 210.

So whats my problem here?
its cold as f@#% out in ny
Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM

anyone???
Old 01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

put in a factory temp thermistat. sorry cant spell... lol
Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM

180 it too low. The correct t-stat is 195. Also make sure it's NOT MrGasket, that will cause the same problem. The MrGasket is a full flow and apparently never completely closes.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L

check your fan clutch, could be locked up pulling cool air all the time.
my jeep did this, ran really cold, never warmed up, and gas mileage was crap.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

No problems here running a 180F t-stat and the heater will make you sweat. My bet is your heater core is plugged so little to no hot water is flowing through it. Also, the heater control door under the dash may not be closing thus allowing cold outside air in to the cabin. There are basically 3 parts to "the loop". 1. the engine 2. the computer 3. the O2 or oxygen sensor. When the engine is started cold, the loop is "open" as only the engine and computer are functioning.....the engine runs on info programmed in the computer at the factory. The O2 sensor must reach 600-650F to "light off" and start sending info to the computer. Once this happens, the loop is "closed" and all 3 components are functioning together. The system will go into closed loop well before coolant temp reaches 195F or 180F for that matter. Heated O2 sensors will start functioning with a few seconds of a cold engine being started.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by dudels99
check your fan clutch, could be locked up pulling cool air all the time.
my jeep did this, ran really cold, never warmed up, and gas mileage was crap.
update!!
no clutch fan converted to electric fan, and it runs cold with the fan off.
i bought a 195 with a gasket for $7.11, but for the meantime i covered the radiator with a piece of card board and that solved everything, heat is as hot as an open flame
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

sweet
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

Originally Posted by djb383
No problems here running a 180F t-stat and the heater will make you sweat. My bet is your heater core is plugged so little to no hot water is flowing through it. Also, the heater control door under the dash may not be closing thus allowing cold outside air in to the cabin. There are basically 3 parts to "the loop". 1. the engine 2. the computer 3. the O2 or oxygen sensor. When the engine is started cold, the loop is "open" as only the engine and computer are functioning.....the engine runs on info programmed in the computer at the factory. The O2 sensor must reach 600-650F to "light off" and start sending info to the computer. Once this happens, the loop is "closed" and all 3 components are functioning together. The system will go into closed loop well before coolant temp reaches 195F or 180F for that matter. Heated O2 sensors will start functioning with a few seconds of a cold engine being started.
Where are you located? I live in Denver, CO so when it gets cold it's like -10 before wind chill. I already replaced the thermostat with a 180*, and just want the system to warm up to that first line above 100. I assume that line is 180* since that's where my system used to warm up to before my issue.

MY ISSUE THAT HAS LEAD TO MY PROBLEM
I rear ended a guy and had to replace the radiator. New radiator+coolant is 60%water/40%coolant+195* factory thermostat(possibly no good, always stayed at 210*)

The explanation for the coolant mix is that the jeep always ran at the 210* mark and I don't allow that warm of a temp when the thermostat is 195*. The temp never dropped below 210 until after my accident and new coolant mixture. Good to go? NO!

This all occurred pre-winter, so when december rolled around the new radiator cooled too well and would freeze the mixture as soon as I would hit the interstate at 75mph. A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL SAY I'M AN IDIOT FOR NOT RUNNING A 50/50 MIXTURE. You can keep your opinion, I really don't care what you think on this part of the post. My 4cyl turbo car runs just fine in these conditions w/ 60%+ water mixture.

Now after the radiator freezing once I changed the thermostat to 180* failsafe. As well as increased the coolant level to 50/50. Couple weeks later the radiator froze again. But this time the temperatures outside stayed below 30* for 5 days so I couldn't just thaw out and try something else.

My jeep remained at work for this time, and one day after I clocked out just before sundown I started the jeep and hauled about 15 gallons of super hot water out and started running it through the radiator (in the upper hose/out the bottom) I got the radiator unfrozen in about 5 minutes and the engine thawed the block. I had professionals flush all the water out and it's for sure a 50/50 mix.

CURRENTLY my engine runs at 100* when it's below 20* outside
about 150* when its between 20-35*
and 180* when it's above 35*
What the hell really?

MORAL OF THE STORY, GOTTA CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT AND PRAY TO THE JEEP GODS.

Anybody ever see anything like this?
Didn't mean to hijack the thread just wanted to throw this up w/ another cooling issue problem.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by GreenXJ95
update!!
no clutch fan converted to electric fan, and it runs cold with the fan off.
i bought a 195 with a gasket for $7.11, but for the meantime i covered the radiator with a piece of card board and that solved everything, heat is as hot as an open flame
OK!!! I'm going to try that because I have an 04 cherokee & have the same problem. I saw a show on TV about 18 wheelers in Alaska & they had front grill covers so I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure if it would cause an over heating problem on the Jeep.

-Where exactly did u place the cardboard?
-Is it right behind the grill, on the front of the car or is it actually touching the radiator?
&
-Is the radiator completely covered?
Thanks,
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO
Where are you located? I live in Denver, CO so when it gets cold it's like -10 before wind chill. I already replaced the thermostat with a 180*, and just want the system to warm up to that first line above 100. I assume that line is 180* since that's where my system used to warm up to before my issue.

MY ISSUE THAT HAS LEAD TO MY PROBLEM
I rear ended a guy and had to replace the radiator. New radiator+coolant is 60%water/40%coolant+195* factory thermostat(possibly no good, always stayed at 210*)

The explanation for the coolant mix is that the jeep always ran at the 210* mark and I don't allow that warm of a temp when the thermostat is 195*. The temp never dropped below 210 until after my accident and new coolant mixture. Good to go? NO!

This all occurred pre-winter, so when december rolled around the new radiator cooled too well and would freeze the mixture as soon as I would hit the interstate at 75mph. A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL SAY I'M AN IDIOT FOR NOT RUNNING A 50/50 MIXTURE. You can keep your opinion, I really don't care what you think on this part of the post. My 4cyl turbo car runs just fine in these conditions w/ 60%+ water mixture.

Now after the radiator freezing once I changed the thermostat to 180* failsafe. As well as increased the coolant level to 50/50. Couple weeks later the radiator froze again. But this time the temperatures outside stayed below 30* for 5 days so I couldn't just thaw out and try something else.

My jeep remained at work for this time, and one day after I clocked out just before sundown I started the jeep and hauled about 15 gallons of super hot water out and started running it through the radiator (in the upper hose/out the bottom) I got the radiator unfrozen in about 5 minutes and the engine thawed the block. I had professionals flush all the water out and it's for sure a 50/50 mix.

CURRENTLY my engine runs at 100* when it's below 20* outside
about 150* when its between 20-35*
and 180* when it's above 35*
What the hell really?

MORAL OF THE STORY, GOTTA CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT AND PRAY TO THE JEEP GODS.

Anybody ever see anything like this?
Didn't mean to hijack the thread just wanted to throw this up w/ another cooling issue problem.
I'm at a total loss as to how your rad can freeze with a 50/50 mix. I just looked at the Prestone bottle and it says protection down to -34F with a 50/50 mix.

We have a ScanGauge in our XJ and it showed coolant temps fluctuating between 193F to 201F with the factory 195F t-stat and +/-30F ambient temps. After installing the 180F t-stat, coolant temps fluctuate between 179F to 186F and the heater is plenty toasty but we're not as cold as Denver. Mid to upper teens for lows lately in the desert of West Texas.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

Originally Posted by djb383
I'm at a total loss as to how your rad can freeze with a 50/50 mix. I just looked at the Prestone bottle and it says protection down to -34F with a 50/50 mix.

We have a ScanGauge in our XJ and it showed coolant temps fluctuating between 193F to 201F with the factory 195F t-stat and +/-30F ambient temps. After installing the 180F t-stat, coolant temps fluctuate between 179F to 186F and the heater is plenty toasty but we're not as cold as Denver. Mid to upper teens for lows lately in the desert of West Texas.
The radiator wouldn't freeze until I got on the interstate. I let it idle for 10-15 minutes outside my house and never overheated or anything. I'm not really sure what happened or how but it's fixed for now. We'll see how the jeep performs once Feb. and Mar. snow storms come.