Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep Lift

I have a 96 Jeep cherokee classic and i'm looking for the best lift for the money looking for like a 3 inch lift. Any recommendations?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Rubicon Express, BDS, Rusty's , Old Man Emu are some really well known names. I have Rubicon Express and love it.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Rough Country, OME, Rubicon Express, Hell Creek Suspensions, cheap eBay lifts. I could go all day, at 3" your really only looking at front and rear springs and new shocks.

And for future reference, if you search there is an overabundance of these threads on this site.

Here, https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f30/se...67/#post639196

Before you can say the search doesn't recognize "kit"

Last edited by rweaver138; 08-23-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

im looking to go from a 3 inch to a 5.5 rear and 6 inch in the front. with 35s. any recommendations?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Rubicon Express-Top Company, Quality, CS, Price is high but you get what you pay for.

BDS-Top Company, Quality, Warranty, CS, Price, again is high.

RC-Well known, everybody likes their lifts, cheaper, good quality, cs is eh along with warranty.

Id say stick with one of those three, all are very well known and all very good quality lifts.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeep, Ride XJ
im looking to go from a 3 inch to a 5.5 rear and 6 inch in the front. with 35s. any recommendations?
Start over with a new lift kit, then sell your old one.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rweaver138
Start over with a new lift kit, then sell your old one.
I disagree, might as well adj. spacer the front, too much spring is a pain in the *** anyway, and bastard pack the rear til you get how much lift you want.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Diesel
I disagree, might as well adj. spacer the front, too much spring is a pain in the *** anyway, and bastard pack the rear til you get how much lift you want.
I would agree with you, but after you go that high you need to replace all your front end components, brake lines, TC drop/SYE, longer shocks, etc.

Rather than sourcing then peicing together random parts, I'd just buy a lift that had everything included. But again, thats just me.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Gotcha, Im not one to complain though, I like piecing mine together, get everything I want, from what company I want, the way I want it.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

To each his own
Old 08-23-2010, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I agree with Diesel, I would buy the JKS ACOS so I could get the front perfect. Then I would buy lift shackles that were 2.5 or 3" to get me to the 5.5 or 6" in the end, plus it will help with the rear flex. Next I would buy a long arm conversion and the other items needed for 5.5 or 6" of lift.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

well i bought this jeep the way it is.. its got shackles with 1 1/2 inch block out back. in the front i am assumin its got taller coils.. it sits level as can be.. so im guessin its got 2 inch in the front 1 1/2 out back.. got cut fenders and flares put back on. this jeep used to wear 33 boggers with a little rubbin up front.. now its got 31 10 50 maxxis mudders on it. here are some pics.. i was thinkin about re blockin out back and spacers on coils in the front.. with new shocks.. what about hardware? what else would be required even if i went with 4.5 rear 5 front
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

I'd say ditch the rear lift block, those suck. And go full leaf pack in back with your shackles. 3" leafs with 1.5 or 2 inch spacers, bam your backs done. For the front its a bit more complicated, I'd bet you have coil spacers in there already, opposed to bigger coils, I could be wrong though. So I'd say get a 3" coil for up front, and spacesr of your choice.

Then, front end components need to be addressed, longer shocks, longer brake lines, track bar drop bracket and an adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects because your end links wont be long enough (assuming you dont have disco's already.) Your going to need upper and lower control arms. You'll aslo need longer shocks and a longer brake line for the rear as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by rweaver138
I'd say ditch the rear lift block, those suck. And go full leaf pack in back with your shackles. 3" leafs with 1.5 or 2 inch spacers, bam your backs done. For the front its a bit more complicated, I'd bet you have coil spacers in there already, opposed to bigger coils, I could be wrong though. So I'd say get a 3" coil for up front, and spacesr of your choice.

Then, front end components need to be addressed, longer shocks, longer brake lines, track bar drop bracket and an adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects because your end links wont be long enough (assuming you dont have disco's already.) Your going to need upper and lower control arms. You'll aslo need longer shocks and a longer brake line for the rear as well.
nothing wrong with a block unless you need bumpstops that work. ME, personally i dont flex so i have no use for bumpstops. I have the rocky road lift with 1 1/2" block 1 1/2 shackle and spacers, and honestly i couldnt be happier. It rides pretty much like it did before and i have no wheel hop, bucking, or problems with springs turning into an S. I would check and make sure it's a well made block tho, if its some of that cheap hollow aluminum crap i would get it out very soon....steel or nothing

OH and dont go over a 2 inch block, dont think anything over that would work out too well
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Mndoughboy
I have a 96 Jeep cherokee classic and i'm looking for the best lift for the money looking for like a 3 inch lift. Any recommendations?

Getting this back on track, I'd say OMEMU. Their stuff looks excellent and the kit is packaged to work together nicely. They have a 3" out of the box and you will never hear anyone complain their gear is junky or does not fit. It's the chronic.

If it were me, I would not waste time on a mixed-bag solution. By the time you pay shipping and return parts because of one reason or another and modify something to make something else fit with something else, you'll have chewed through an extra $200 and you won't really like what you've done...it'll nag at you like an irritable mother-in-law and you'll keep trying to explain to yourself why you did it that way. And your time is not without value, either.

Bite down on your Visa and buy the OMEMU kit.

Quick Reply: Jeep Lift