Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee 2001 wont turn on!!!! HELPPP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee 2001 wont turn on!!!! HELPPP!!!!

My check gauges light kept coming on and i new it was the alternator going bad... well finally my jeep died on me by not having enough power to even turn it on. if i left it alone for awhile it would have enough power to turn on the electric but as soon as i turn the key it shuts everything off even the electric even when i keep trying and turning the whole time. I replaced the alternator and got the battery checked out and it was all ok. Well today it was all put back together with the new alternator and i turn the jeep on and it turned on and ran as if nothing was wrong with it no more then i drove around the neighborhood and then went to Walmart later it was all great.. Later at night i wanted to stop by target so i get in the jeep and turn the key and it shut off as if it did when the alternator was bad and all that. Its like it doesn't have enough power to run even the electric what can be causing this?? they said the battery is ok but maybe its not? or could it be wiring? Or even a censor or something could be causing it? i have no clue so i need some advice on what it could be i thought it could be the starter but im pretty sure you dont need a starter to turn on only the electric so my guess is really on the alternator which was just replaced so thats good, the battery or the wiring with the alternator and battery not connecting somewhere right.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM

BUMP
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

check battery voltage with a meter, check battery connections and check battery terminals(clamps), check voltage at starter make sure it's the same or very close to what you read at the battery
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 6 cylinder

I found the may start or not and other issues where remedied by replacing the ignition switch (where the key goes) on a 95 Cherokee; It was my observation that it was only two years, 95-96 that had this problem, perhaps not ?

The failure is caused by the movement of the steering wheel tilt adj. and a bad switch. I have replaced the switch ( went NAPA, good or better as the OEM design is flawed). It "fixed" several issues..starts every time.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM

would the key ignition and switch cause even the electric to not even turn on? because if i leave the jeep alone for the night and try to turn it on tomorrow itll have enough power to turn on the electric but once i turn it even more it shuts off for good even if i try to turn only to electric again until i let it rest for awhile and once again same thing would happen.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Can the battery still have a problem after being checked like a dead cell?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

if the battery was tested under a load and it passed, then i'd say it's good. You need to get a cheap multi meter and read voltage at the battery, and at the starter.

if you have good voltage at both, you will move to something else, if you have good voltage at battery, and not good voltage at starter, you have a problem with the wires, or terminal connections
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

You need to have your battery rechecked at a different parts store. Not always the person checking them really doesn't know how to use the load tester. You also need to clean all of your grounding point, Not only at the battery but all of them. Just because the look clean doesn't mean that they are. Remove all of the grounds and clean them with sandpaper and make them shine.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Year: 1999 @ 2000 (for parts)
Engine: 4.0ltr

I'm betting your battery is shot. It will have enough reserve to operate the low current draw electrical system but as soon as you try to start the jeep you draw any and all reserve it had left out. The battery terminals could also have enough corrosion on them to increase the resistance to the point it can't deliver the current needed to start it either.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 6 cylinder

Any progress on a fix to your electric system issues ? DC electrics are a little mysterious. The comment about grounds seems right on based numerous forum posts

If your battery and alt are working, but you have no starting power with a grudging cranking... you may have something going to ground, that is draining battery power.

These can be "short circuits" or an open switch, such as a dome light, which you would notice. Yours sounds like it is pulling a lot of AMPs through a short circuit to ground which can be a hazard to find by "accident". Have you ever smelled elec "fire" smoke ?

What else is working not working ? Does batt guage show a charge etc. What yr is vehicle ?