Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee '06 overheating after radiator replacement.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Jeep Cherokee '06 overheating after radiator replacement.

First of all, hello and thank you for your time.

A couple of days ago I noticed that my '06 Jeep Cherokee was leaking a significant amount of coolant. To my surprise it turned out that the radiator had cracked at the corner near the top hose input and was guching coolant.

I decided to replace it completely, the process went as smooth as it could, no issues arose and I even changed the Thermostat since its rubber ring was starting to crack.

After refilling the coolant and letting it run for an hour I noted there were no leaks and the temperature was perfect. However today, the day after the replacement, while on the road the temperature began climbing steadily. Before it got near any dangerous temperatures I pulled over and checked for leaks or anything. Nothing, coolant level was fine and there was no drips. I did however notice that the radiator output hose was colder than what I remembered it to be after running the test yesterday.

Any ideas? Could it be that the new thermostat is jammed?

Thank you for your time.
Have a good one.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by NathPyke
First of all, hello and thank you for your time.

A couple of days ago I noticed that my '06 Jeep Cherokee was leaking a significant amount of coolant. To my surprise it turned out that the radiator had cracked at the corner near the top hose input and was guching coolant.

I decided to replace it completely, the process went as smooth as it could, no issues arose and I even changed the Thermostat since its rubber ring was starting to crack.

After refilling the coolant and letting it run for an hour I noted there were no leaks and the temperature was perfect. However today, the day after the replacement, while on the road the temperature began climbing steadily. Before it got near any dangerous temperatures I pulled over and checked for leaks or anything. Nothing, coolant level was fine and there was no drips. I did however notice that the radiator output hose was colder than what I remembered it to be after running the test yesterday.

Any ideas? Could it be that the new thermostat is jammed?

Thank you for your time.
Have a good one.
Could be. I have never had a problem with the Stant thermostats that I get from Napa but other people have expressed having problems with aftermarket ones. I think I read once where somebody went through 4 before they found one that was not defective.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It could be a bad thermostat - It could also be that the system wasn't fully burped. It could even be a bad water pump that led to the radiator failing.

I'd put a Mopar t-stat in it and make sure the system is burped and go from there.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to thank everyone for your suggestions.
Mopar parts aren't readily available in my country and it seems that the stat that I put in is flawed. I did order a proper one but it'll take some time to get here so until then I'll run with the original part.

Thank you very much.