Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

issue between transmission and engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default issue between transmission and engine

So my cherokee has been doing this for a while, i thought it was some plastic part just jiggling around, but it looks like it could be a torque converter or something worse.

Symptoms:
-when at red light the banging will start
-if i accelerate while its making the banging noise, i lose power, rpms go down until the rattle goes away

Last week i replaced a tire and noticed what i thought was fluid dripping out, looks more like OLD transmission fluid, what can i refill it with so as not to ruin the transmission (it looked like dirty coffee) i may have the mechanic look at it but he doesnt have time until next week.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Dex/Merc is what you should refill with. Follow the instructions in your owner's manual to check the level of the fluid. (Warm transmission, idling, check in park or neutral.)

If the trans fluid is dark, the fluid needs to be replaced. It should be red and clear, not brownish and/or burnt smelling.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

You could try a couple drain and refills over the course of a couple weeks and hope it gets better. My concern would be the condition of the fluid. Does it feel real gritty or have a metallic sheen to it? Old dirty fluid can be bad, but good. To a point. As the clutches wear out the friction material ends up in the fluid. Changing the fluid removes all that grit and the clutches start to slip. But changing the fluid means less trash floating around in it.

Never heard a transmission bang before. My first thought there was the transmission mount collapsed and the exhaust is hitting the crossmember. Check, that may be it. If not, no harm done.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 PM

okay so i drove it around today again, when it loses power i keep light on the gas until i hear a ping/clang noise then the power returns to normal. i may just let it sit until i can get someone to repair the issue, this seems above my skill level, but the transmission seems fine, no issues shifting at all.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

No comment on the power, don't know what it is ether.....Hardened O rings on the oil filter adapter will result in oil dripping from the bell housing. The trick there is to watch is very carefully RIGHT after it's cleaned to see where it's leaking before oil is everywhere and you are right back where you started.

The bolts holding the torque converter to the flex-plate are known to loosen and cause a knock. Sort of easy to check after you remove the inspection plate behind the pan, on the front of the bell-housing.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:40 PM

Found the problem today, trasnmission motor mount is worn, hitting the crossmember, also Cleaning the iacv fixed loss of power.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by iPodTouchMyself
Symptoms:
-when at red light the banging will start
-if i accelerate while its making the banging noise, i lose power, rpms go down until the rattle goes away

Originally Posted by iPodTouchMyself
Found the problem today, trasnmission motor mount is worn, hitting the crossmember, also Cleaning the iacv fixed loss of power.
Super!, and much thanks for getting back. One of us could have maybe homed in on the bad tranny mount radioing noise to the cab..it was missed by all.

The power thing coupled with no mention of what it is might have thrown some off. Don't think my 90 has an "iacy", but glad you fixing yours solved your power problem!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Super!, and much thanks for getting back. One of us could have maybe homed in on the bad tranny mount radioing noise to the cab..it was missed by all.
Almost.

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Never heard a transmission bang before. My first thought there was the transmission mount collapsed and the exhaust is hitting the crossmember. Check, that may be it. If not, no harm done.