Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Intermittent stall

Hello to you all, I think I have a ghost in my Cherokee, I called Ghost-busters but they don't do tropic weather, lol. Anyway I have no Check Engine Light ON I tried to scan computer and got no codes all good, I start checking all sensors one by one, when I got to the Crankshaft Sensor I noticed cables from the sensor looked weak, so I moved the cables tried to start engine with no luck, I moved cables closer to firewall went start engine and it fired up right away, I shake the cables engine stalls, so I guess I found the problem, order new sensor from an online auto parts store, installed new sensor, start the engine but no go, it cranks but when it tries to fire up the engine back fires in the way that it seems out of time engine wants to turn counter clockwise, have this happened to any of you?
Jeep Cherokee Sport 2000 2WD 4.0L H.O.
In august I installed new Flex Plate because factory broke, new Flex Plate after installation it fired up no problem but I mention it so you know what it has being done lately.

Last edited by TurboPirate; 11-16-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I'd be chasing the wiring back into the harness.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by cruiser54
^^^ Best advice based on this...

"I shake the cables engine stalls".

A lot of folks are apprehensive about tearing the wrap off of wire looms, but sometimes it is the only way to cure a problem, and plastic GM style wire loom sheathing is cheap and can be bought by the foot to re-contain them again.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
^^^ Best advice based on this...

"I shake the cables engine stalls".

A lot of folks are apprehensive about tearing the wrap off of wire looms, but sometimes it is the only way to cure a problem, and plastic GM style wire loom sheathing is cheap and can be bought by the foot to re-contain them again.
Originally Posted by cruiser54
Thank you both, I was thinking about opening the wiring loom corrugated thingy, lol I start today with that. Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

When I replaced the CPS I had to replace the harness as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ktb615
When I replaced the CPS I had to replace the harness as well.
This all started after I installed new Flex Plate, maybe when I was installing the tranny back I hurt the sensor, the wires that go into the sensor where it looks like an epoxy seal, there the wires are kinked and 2 are exposed without the cover....................
Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Sounds like you have identified your problem then. Time to replace those wires. You can do a simple splice if you are handy with a soldering iron, or (really the correct way) replace the whole wire. With exposed conductor, you are allowing moisture into the wire, which will corrode them. Failure is a certainty eventually. If you solder, make sure to use heatshrink! Electric tape is a bandaid, you are performing surgery. A bandaid will not suffice for surgery.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SirCyber
Sounds like you have identified your problem then. Time to replace those wires. You can do a simple splice if you are handy with a soldering iron, or (really the correct way) replace the whole wire. With exposed conductor, you are allowing moisture into the wire, which will corrode them. Failure is a certainty eventually. If you solder, make sure to use heatshrink! Electric tape is a bandaid, you are performing surgery. A bandaid will not suffice for surgery.
You are right, I wanted to rule out all it can be, I checked the jeep's side wires, traced all 3 back to the ecu, all 3 good, tried shacking all good, to fix the sensor's wires I will have to remove some of the epoxy, I preffer to install new sensor, the new sensor doesn't work, I wonder if the new sensor has the wires mixed up at the conector, a mistake when the conector was installed maybe the person who installed the plug didn't notice he/she mixed the number 1, 2 and 3 got number 1 at number 3 etc.
I am not sure I can mention store or brand's name here, if I can then I can name the brand of the sensor I got online...........anyway thanks again for your time and help, tomorrow I am getting another CSP Sensor to rule out the new sensor was faulty........
Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM

Hello, this is the part number of the sensor I ordered online, S10082.
The connector looks exactly like the old sensor, for unknown reason the connector doesn't want to connect to Jeep's connector side easily, I had to battle a little so it connects, I can't find locally a new Crank Shaft position sensor, I tried to upload photos so you can see what am I dealing with, but since Hurricane Maria internet in Puerto Rico is very unstable and slow, I will keep trying to upload photos, Thanks in advance TP
Old 11-24-2017, 05:59 PM

Hello gang, finally found here in PR an Auto Parts with the sensor, after installing it the engine fired up without any problem, the old sensor I fixed the exposed wires but after the engine reached normal temp the sensor dies. Thanks for your time and help. TP