Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Interior swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Interior swap

Im wanting to swap my interior in my 96 xj to leather interior out of a grand cherokee. anyone done this or know if its possible, or any interior swap possible? i hate my light color interior. any advice is appreciated
Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I would look for leather XJ, if that's what you want. If you just want to change the color, they make spray dies for upholstery. I don't believe the seats fit. Oh, Ya, the pics in your photo album look like postage stamps.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM

no i dont wanna paint it thats cheap on my show jeep, and idk how to make the pictures larger
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM

you can put grand cherokee seats in your cherokee. they bolt right up to the track. 93-04 only
Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 PM

ok thank you i think im gonna get some leather seats out of a grand cherokee, woudl the interior fully swap from a newer cherokee 98+ into mine besides the dash?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

I think the two vehicles share the same "platform" in car industry language. For example, the Wrangler is a platform. The XJ/ZJ is a platform, the Mercury Marauder/Marquis/Ford Crown Victoria all share a platform. That means they share the same structure, powertrain, brakes, control arms, radiator, axles, rotors, headlamps, etc., etc., but have different body-in-white skins attached and different trim inside and out.

So, the bolt holes in the floor for the seats will very likely be the same but that doesn't mean the whole interior will swap. The seats might be engineered to allow the console to fit, the 4wd shifter, a/c ducting, etc. The seat frames may be different heights, too, to accomodate different padding, etc. But, the differences are not going to be large because there is only so much real estate to work with inside the car so the engineers can't get too carefree.

Also, while many, many things CAN be different but, as a rule, are not LIKELY to be different because anything that is different costs the car company a great deal of money in a thousand different ways.

If you could find the program manager for the XJ seat program for that year (not impossible...but not easy, either), he/she would KNOW. Otherwise, you have to experiment. (For example, a friend of mine and the XJ engine program manager from the '84 to 1996 era are close friends. That guy knows by heart every single difference in every single motor/trans combo, right down to block numbers and wrist pin tolerances. That is their job - to know everything about their programs. He also knows EXACTLY why these engines tend to have piston slap and what it means long term. He knows because he signed off on the engineering for these parts.)

Anyway, back to seats. IMO, within the same model year or even within the same "update" cycle, the front and back seats would swap but probably not the console, door panels, IP, or other trim. For example, the locks and window regulators would be the same but the actuators and wire harness might be different. Ditto the buttons and little bitty trim bits. The update cycle is usually three years - every three years a platform will get an exterior facelift or an interior facelift. Powertrain and other stuff is often done on the third year of the cycle in a platform's life.

Didn't mean to be so long-winded but this is how the car business works, by and large. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Lifted96
ok thank you i think im gonna get some leather seats out of a grand cherokee, woudl the interior fully swap from a newer cherokee 98+ into mine besides the dash?
You can swap it all into yours, even the dash and the grand seats with power, but it wont just bolt in and fit all perfect with out alittle modification. Ive seen it done a couple times, nothing new
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM

what kinds of mods? becuz i hate my tan interior and style