Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Interior part Ques.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior part Ques.

Ok i have a 96 Cherokee/Manual

i was wondering if a 96's Grand Cherokee Center console

would fit into my?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

well anything can be "made" to fit its just a matter of how much you want to fab it.

personally i havnt seen it done and i probably wouldnt try it. what is your reasoning for doing this?

-Kyle
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM

My reason is because my Cherokee

doesnt have a console at all, where the handbreak goes

its empty and so is where the stick is at..

i need a center console.. and i wanted one where i can store stuff.. like put my cellphone or other stuff..and also with a cupholder.. i have none just in the back...

also what kind of lift kit is good?

i was looking at the pro comp wheels..

i dont know if those are any good..

help? :]
Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 PM

before jumping into the lift why not convert your rig to 4wd before you lift it?

just go to the JY and grab a center console for your 96 and put it in, that will be the easiest solution.

-Kyle
Old 11-21-2007, 01:36 AM

How much would it cost to convert it into a 4wd? and how? Are there kits or something of that sort?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 AM

basacally you need the TC, d30, front DS, and all of the linkage that goes to the TC. other then that its pretty much a bolt on project. while your at it just pick up a center console for 4wd (which will be much easier to find.

-Kyle
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM

I dont know really about jeeps...
but you think a inline 4, 2.5L jeep cherokee should be
4wd? would it be cool?

and if yeah...is this a project i can do myself..
or is it something a mechanic has to do?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM

with the proper amount of mechanical inclination anything is possible. as for the in-line 4 it can handle it. you may or may not need to regear depending what your current setup is. for the most part the jeep is a fairly simple vehicle, nothing special. though it can create headaches when it gets fussy. if you do and start getting the parts take note of the vacumme system on the donor vehicle.

Bastard Child
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

i really dont know much about jeeps.

So is converting it into a 4wd i have to go to a jy and pretty much get the parts?

and my car is stock but im planning on lifting it soon.
if its not too much of a hasle..

what would i need for the 4wd, what lift kit is good, and what tires i should be looking into?

:]

by the way thanks for the info bastard child, i wasnt too sure if my 2.5 could handle it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:08 PM

yes you just need to go to the JY and grab the parts.

as for the lift you need to decide what size tires you wish to run then we can tell you what size life we would recommend for that particular size tire.

-Kyle
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Just a question and i guess it's kinda for a guidance type thing. What kind of wheeling do you want/intend to do. If your looking for the look and not the functionality of 4 wheel drive, i would suggest not doing the swap in of a 4 wheel drive system. If your looking to use it then depending on what you want to achieve should determine your lift/tires. something not to radical would be a 3 inch kit and 31" tires. our you could opt for the budget lift. if you want to get extreme with it you could go for 6 inches and 35" tires. It all depends on what you want the final outcome to be. My two cents would be consider heavily what you want and set the goal. you can easily go bigger at a later date. If this is your complete first build not just jeep, don't get into it over your head from the get go. trust me when i say if you set a goal and love and end up hooked like so many of us are, you'll meet your goal and then set a bigger to get to next. Your gonna invest, depending on what you are looking for as an end result, quite possibly alot on time and money. Just make sure you think things out and have an idea in mind of what you want. By the time the parts and tools are purchased and the many hours are spent underneath your jeep wrenching, it all adds up. now if you do spend the time and money, you will have one h*ll of jeep when your done, as long as you do it right. Again it's just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to say do it or don't thats up to you. Just make sure prepared when you start it. It's no fun to start a project and never finish it. I learned the hard way.

Bastard Child
Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 PM

It just my dailydriver, dont really plan to go offroading a lot or at all. I was planning on just the look, i want to make it look tuff... i wanted to put some bling on it... but i kinda realized.. there is no room for bling on a jeep haha. I was looking at the procomp tires and i had my mind set on some 31"s but i wasnt sure on the lift. Im not really planning to spend a lot.. but as my christmas present my parents said they would buy me some tires and lift it..
im looking into a good but not too expensive lift kit, and also what kind of tires should i be looking at? are the procomp good? or should i be looking into something else?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 PM

are you looking at MT's or AT's?

if your looking at MT's i would highly recommend cooper STT's they run great on road and off.

-Kyle
Old 11-22-2007, 10:22 PM

I'm guessing AT's because I'm going to be driving it more in the road...or does it matter?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 AM

AT's will most defiantly be better for you on road. since you are going with the AT's i would highly recommend looking into BFG AT KO's, they are a very well respected AT that will last you a long time.

-Kyle

Quick Reply: Interior part Ques.