Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Interior Lights and Gage Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L Stroker
Default Interior Lights and Gage Cluster

So I had a weird failure over the weekend. I have been doing a lot of work on the dome light, and radio so I have had either off multiple times over the last week. I had to drive it over to a friends house last night so rather than try and replace all of the center console, I just pulled the radio out completely, disconnected it, left all the trim off, rehung the dome light and drove off.

The gages are completely unresponsive, no temp, no oil, no tach, no fuel gage, no amps, no speedo. The check engine and idiot ligths seem to be fine, but all the analog gages are done. The backlights still illuminate at night, but none of the gages move. I also don't have interior lights, either the main dome or the individual push buttons. I also lost the door unlock/lock with my fob. I thought it was just a fuse, but I probed all the fuses in the passenger front kick panel and they all checked for continuity. I haven't pulled them all individualy and visually checked for continuity, but I thought a bad circuit was most likely. Is there another fuse box i should be checking somewhere?

As near as i can tell the wiring is solid. It is doing one other electrical idiosyncracy, but that was happening before this and I thinkg it's an entirely different issue. The windows only work from the drivers seat, all the passenger seat window switches are bad. I think this is a bad contact on the drivers side child saefty lock which I need to confirm. Also the front door speakers don't work, which is why I had the stereo out, but I think i found that problem as well. Other than those two things it's stock and seems to be fine. There are no aftermarket alarms or remote start. It has an aftermarket stereo that is decently installed, not too hacked up, except for the front speakers. Everything else seems fine. Nothing in the stereo wiring looked like it was interupting a circuit, so I don't think unplugging the harnes should have made a difference.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Check the fuses/relays in the PDC.
Your window switch issue: you can bypass the child lock function, with a paperclip (yellow to tanned wire in little harness near fron kick panel fuse area in your Left hand drives. Google image search '. Or you can resolder the contacts in the driver side module, since this issue is usually related to that.

Last edited by Roler; 11-11-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

"The gages are completely unresponsive, no temp, no oil, no tach, no fuel gage, no amps, no speedo. The check engine and idiot ligths seem to be fine, but all the analog gages are done. The backlights still illuminate at night, but none of the gages move. I also don't have interior lights, either the main dome or the individual push buttons. I also lost the door unlock/lock with my fob. I thought it was just a fuse, but I probed all the fuses in the passenger front kick panel and they all checked for continuity. I haven't pulled them all individualy and visually checked for continuity, but I thought a bad circuit was most likely. Is there another fuse box i should be checking somewhere?"

It sounds like the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) is blown. Remove the cover from the PDC and look inside. It will show the location of the IOD fuse. Check it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Like I said....the PDC.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Roler
Like I said....the PDC.
But you didn't say which fuse in the PDC. LOL
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L Stroker

Thanks guys, I figured there was another fuse panel, PDC, PCM something someplace. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to track it down. Hopefully it's that simple. I will take a look at it tonight. As far as the Child Safety Switch, I think I have it narrowed down to the interlock in the door. But it's only been an annoyance to the passengers, so hasn't been a huge priority. But since realizing that both front door speakers aren't working, some shady speaker wires hiding behind the stereo for the front speakers, A loose mirror on the passenger side from an ill placed tree and boulder combo, and the ongoing issue about the child safety lock, I now have enough reason to pull both front door panels and do some checking.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

P.S. Any thoughts on what may have caused it to pop? Literally the truck has been sitting all week while I have been doing unrelated projects with it, so it's really strange that everything was fine Satruday night and SOL Sunday morning.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cerveja
Thanks guys, I figured there was another fuse panel, PDC, PCM something someplace. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to track it down. Hopefully it's that simple. I will take a look at it tonight. As far as the Child Safety Switch, I think I have it narrowed down to the interlock in the door. But it's only been an annoyance to the passengers, so hasn't been a huge priority. But since realizing that both front door speakers aren't working, some shady speaker wires hiding behind the stereo for the front speakers, A loose mirror on the passenger side from an ill placed tree and boulder combo, and the ongoing issue about the child safety lock, I now have enough reason to pull both front door panels and do some checking.

Thanks again, I will keep you posted.

P.S. Any thoughts on what may have caused it to pop? Literally the truck has been sitting all week while I have been doing unrelated projects with it, so it's really strange that everything was fine Satruday night and SOL Sunday morning.
The IOD fuse is powered directly off the battery, even when the Ignition is Off (thus the Ignition Off Draw). If any circuit powered by the IOD shorts out it will pop the fuse.

The following circuits are powered through the IOD:

Cargo Bay Lamp/Switch (common area for fault)
Underhood Lamp/Mercury Switch
Transmission Control Module
Left and Right Courtesy Lamps
Instrument Cluster
Left and Right Visor Vanity Lamps
Dome Lamps Switch
Dome Lamp
Overhead Module (door lock/unlock), Compass (if installed)
Radio
Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
But you didn't say which fuse in the PDC. LOL
That's why I have you lol