Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intake manifold alignment pins

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intake manifold alignment pins

Are they necessary? I goofed and didn't install them on a new cylinder head before installing. The manifold gasket and exhaust are also on, I pulled the intake manifold once I realized what I'd done ("what are those holes?")

Managed to pull the old pins from the old head, but can't get them in the new head. Could work on them with sand paper until they fit, maybe. Is it worth the effort?

Also, do people generally use rtv on the intake ports?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Although it's not specified or recommended, I always put a thin layer of RTV around anything vacuum on the intake. "Squeeze out" on the inside you will never see, and is not good. I just feel better with it there. I'm likely not going to reuse that gasket, and if it hasn't squeezed out inside it's not a problem.

That pin question is a little tough. Yes, a new install if you got the gasket to stay while you tightened everything, fine. Down the road though, if the bolts loosen, (they can/do), you now have less in your corner. Myself, if I had neglected the pins I'd likely just recheck those bolts a few times instead of taking it apart again. Snug them again after 5 and 10K. I really don't know though.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:35 PM

Sounds reasonable to me, DFlinstone. Thanks for the help. I might try once more to get them in tomorrow, otherwise I'll do just as you suggest.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/.../J3172318.html
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 AM

Year: 2000

I would install new ones to be safe. Like previously mentioned, it might hurt you down the road if you don't. I got a couple from my local Jeep dealer.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't think the alignment pins are necessary. They are there to make putting the manifold back on easier. If you already have it back on and don't have an intake leak, then I would leave it. If you haven't put it back on yet, then I would put them in.
I did struggle with getting the intake aligned. It keep feeling like it was on the alignment pins and would bolt up fine , but it was actually sitting above the pins, resting on them instead of being aligned. Took me several attempts to get that right. tip off was RPM going way up when I started it because of a large air leak. They don't stick out very far so it takes a pretty good feel to get them lined up right.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:41 PM

I ended up tapping them in with a light hammer after some sanding. Without the pins, though, you can thread all of the lower manifold bolts in and set the intake down into place which makes reassembly a breeze. With the pins in, I had to thread the lower manifold bolts in afterwards which is a pain, especially when it's cold out and you can't feel your hands. Hopefully it was worth it. The jeep is back together and running fine so far. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:01 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Don't need no stinking pins.......