Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing a transmission aux cooler.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installing a transmission aux cooler.

I'm thinking about installing one. Any recommendations on which one to get, size, rating ect. would be great. Also if someone could point me to a write up on the best way to install it that would be awesome.

One more thing, I know some XJs came stock with one. Where does it mount and what does it look like?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Another question: Which line is which? Does the output from the transmission enter the radiator through the upper or lower hose?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I am suprised you do not already have one in the radiator or in front of it. The inlet hose would be the lower one,as to keep the exchanger full at all times.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
I am suprised you do not already have one in the radiator or in front of it. The inlet hose would be the lower one,as to keep the exchanger full at all times.
Cool thanks.

I have one in the radiator but I want to add an inline aux. as well.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I added a transmission cooler last month to my 96 cherokee after the system over heated while towing my 3000lb tent camper. The radiator was worn out and finally could not cool the system on the hills. Autozone sells a Universal Transmission Cooler. It is $25.00, for light towing and I purchased the medimum duty at $49, and works like a CHAMP!! It comes with zips that you put through the fins on the radiator and slip a collar over and that is what holds the cooler in place. It comes with every thing you need except for the two hose unions and a couple of hose clamps you'll need to do it right. The previsous thread said the lower line is the input (this line has a quick connect fitting and is very difficult to get off. I used the upper line that has brass fittings. These kits do not come with fittings, but on AutoZone's website there is an adaptor kit #390 ($7.99) I think was the number. This kit has the brass fittings to connect to the radiator and the top line. You just have to change the radiator fitting with the in the kit. You will use all the pieces in the kit. I mounted the cooler in front of the radiator on the drivers side also in front of the electric fan. I also had a tranmission fluid exchange and radiator fluid exchange. My temp gauge does not even reach 180. I will have to check my repair manual or ask my jeep mechanic friend if I should have mounted the lines to the lower line on the radiator. I assumed just like the radiator the fluid flows from the top and out the bottom, the transmission also flowed the same.